Sunday, September 30, 2018

The assembly plan!

It's time to sew this king size medallion top together!  It's always a bit scary when we get to the next step. But, I have worked out a plan.  When I first started cutting hourglass blocks for this quilt I was using small scraps so I would only get 2-3 units that were made out of the same two fabrics. But towards the end, I started to use some fat quarters so I think there are a few units that may have six identical partners. To get them ready to be laid out I treated them like playing cards and dealt one unit into 8 piles till they were gone. The 8 comes from the number of subunits I need to make. Then I randomly cut each deck (pile).


876 hourglass blocks divided into eight piles


 I am treating this quilt like a giant 9 patch. The center square of the nine patch is the medallion block.  So I will start laying out everything above the medallion first. Section 1 will be 10 units X 9 units. The two sections on each side of it will be 10 units X 12  units.  I won't worry about each unit until I get to the row that will butt up to the next unit.  The only rule I have is I don't want two identical fabrics next to each other.
The next two units will be on each side of the medallion and be 12x9 units and so on.  I will then continue with the three units that will go under the medallion.  I won't sew the larger units together till all of them are made.  Anyway, that's the plan!  Since I used so many different fabrics and there are only one or two that have six identical units and there are eight sections, this should work!




I think a bigger concern I have is whether I can keep everything square. So, my plan is to press carefully, pin carefully, and stitch slowly using my stiletto to help with sewing over all those seams.  I have never worked with blocks that finish at 3 inches so I am looking forward to a new adventure. I don't think it will be as scary as white water river rafting but it could get scary.  I must say breaking the piecing into sections and thinking about the issues I will face does make this seem doable. I have no deadlines and will probably stitch on this project early in the am when I do my best sewing.  I will also be heading back my Viking Husqvarna that has speed control and needle down so that I sew as accurately as possible. Hopefully, it will be smooth sailing!

 Photo by Keval Parekh 



8 comments:

  1. White water rafting has never been on my bucket list. I might have to learn to swim if it were.
    I like you logic in planning the sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I hope it keeps everything from stretching too much and a bit more manageable. I don't want to go white water rafting either.

      Delete
  2. A girl with a plan! Sounds like it is well thought out and should work fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen I often get so excited to finish a top I don't plan and all kind of things go wrong. I'm think my plan will get me there and make it a joyful journey.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant plan Carla! Happy stitching :D Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lot of little pieces you are working with. I like the way you have broken the plan into sections; hopefully you will be able to piece it to your satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the plan sounds like a good one with only one rule!

    ReplyDelete