Sunday, September 9, 2018

Lot of stitching!

I am moving along and am working on the 3rd and final zig-zag border today.  A decision has also been made to add some circles to my zig-zags to bring some of the fabrics in the body of the quilt out to the border.  It also gives me more hand stitching to do, a win-win!



For those of you wondering how my hourglass medallion quilt is coming along. I have reached 700 blocks.  I still need approximately 150 more before I can start laying out the blocks and sewing them together.  I have decided building sections of hourglass blocks is probably the best way to approach this one.  I know I still have a lot of work to do to finish both of these quilts, I am creeping closer to at least having the tops finished. 


The weather today, a high in the 80's reminds me that fall is coming and I need to get a couple of quilts basted so my winter hand quilting can begin.  Never a dull moment here


Do you save and stitch up those little corners that are cut off when you are trimming.  It's something I learned from following Bonnie Hunter.  I never have, but when I started making my medallion quilt out of these reproduction fabrics I just felt I couldn't throw those pieces away so I have been sewing, pressing and trimming them up.  Yesterday, there were getting to be so many I decided to count them up and put them in a little tin I had, so they would stay safe till I decided what to do with them.  They sure are cute!



10 comments:

  1. GREAT idea to pull your prints from the body of the quilt into the zig zag border!! I love it! That's a lotta half square triangles...a LOT! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it definitely needed after adding the inner border. This is one of those make from stash projects and I really find it fun to wait and see what it needs.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the addition of the circles to your border... will you be appliqueing these on and what method will you use for those little circles... inquiring minds wanna know!!! This is just genius on your part :D Can't wait til your next post to see the finish of the borders and the addition of some circles ... your other quilt in the making the hour glass one is def on steroids and I love it! Enjoy your stitching today! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi, They definitely are fly by the seat of my pant projects. LOL I will be using the Perfect Circle templates to make my circles. I trace the template to the back of the fabric, then I add some basting stitches around the outside of the line which is the seam allowance. Then I just use scissors to cut around the basting. I spray the fabric with some starch add the template to the backside and pull on the basting stitches and then press with a hot iron till dry. I am excited about seeing my hourglass laid out. It will be a lot of 3 inch finished blocks with so many pretty reproduction fabrics. I figured I couldn't go wrong there!

      Delete
  3. I like the circles you have added to your zig zag border. 700 blocks is mammoth I'm really impressed. And I'm like you I can't throw any fabric away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when my scraps head me into the direction of my next quilt. It's fun working that way!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy a chevron border. I also love it when it is done using scraps.

    ReplyDelete