Friday, September 28, 2018

Medallion quilt progress

Well, 852 hourglass blocks have been completed!  I am so glad that I pressed and trimmed them as I made them.  I can't imagine facing that task at this point.  However, I did the math again last night making sure I have enough made before I start assembly.  Well, I figured that 33 units wide by 29 units long should give me a king size quilt that measures 111X99 after I add a six-inch border around it.  I can deduct 81 units as the center medallion will fill that area. So, 33X29= 957 -81= 876.  So I am 24 short,  so this am I spent some time getting them cut!  There was a time that this would have frustrated me.  But at this point in my journey, I find as much joy in making another 24 units as I would moving to the next step on this quilt.  I guess I can say I am very content in my quilt making journey, even with  all the bumps in the road!





As I have said before, I started to blog to document my quiltmaking journey. When I first started blogging it seemed there were so many things to learn.  Then, I got to the point I felt less tied to patterns and confident that I would produce a quilt that made me happy!  But to this day, I am still learning from each quilt.  While making these hourglass blocks I realized it is much better to not press the two halves of the blocks before stitching them together.  I will admit I struggle with piecing.  I think it's because I was always in a hurry to get to the point that I could quilt the quilt.  But as the years went on, I learned that good piecing makes for easier quilting.    There are so many variables that we contend with as we learn a skill.  Each quilt has brought me closer to making the of quilts I always wanted to make.  In this fast-paced world, it's a wonderful place to be! 


14 comments:

  1. That is a lot of hour glass blocks. It is nice to realize we are still learning after many years of doing.
    I am looking forward to seeing them all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Piecing is my fav part of the process. From what I see it sure doesn't seem like you struggle with piecing. Your work is always so inspiring.

    I'm still learning too. I challenge myself a lot. And get stalled a lot too. And frustrated. But little by little I usually move forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's explains how you get all those blocks made so quickly, your just having a lot of fun. For me it's always been the quilting but I am happy with my piecing now as long as I keep the block simple. I should say I had to learn to press. I used to do more harm than good.

      Delete
  3. Your observation about not pressing the half blocks before stitching them together is very interesting. I'm hoping to add a border of these blocks on a quilt in progress and hope that hint moves things a bit more quickly and
    accurately for me too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found that nesting that seam worked better if I had not pressed. I line them up and then give a very gentle tug to nest the seam and then line up at the top and bottom. I could then just place my finger on that center point and run it through the machine. Then I twirled the seams and finger pressed before the final pressing with my iron.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that I learn from each quilt I make too <3 I too am finding myself content in the journey each quilt gives me... I have a couple that need a bit of seam ripping in my near future but they are quilts I did earlier in my quilting journey before I learned what I know now... so it is ok... Me and the seam ripper have a friendly but not too friendly relationship if that makes sense... I know it is there if I need it ... and now I don't use it too much. I am glad you found a way to make your QST;s without ironing each step... just ironing and trimming when done... and trimming as you go I agree is the way to do it... Hope with this late comment you are done with your last 24 blocks and enjoying the layout process.. how will you do that.. do you have a king sized design wall to make sure your colors are well spread or do you use the floor or even a bed top?? Maybe sections of 3 on this quilt??? Inquiring questions... sorry Carla! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they are stitched and I am planning my attack to layout this quilt. I will lay out my plan on my next post.

      Delete
  6. What an ambitious project! I used to struggle with piecing accurately too. Now I only use a hot dry iron and spray starch it has made all the difference.
    I so agree with your comment that each quilt teaches you something. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah most of my problems come with pressing. I too have learned a dry iron and starch are a quilter's best friends. Maybe someday I will get brave enough to do a Lonestar quilt. I guess I should start stocking up on starch! LOL

      Delete
  7. You have stuck with it in sewing all those triangles together. Certainly a large quantity of them. You can see the end of piecing them...well sort of as you still have to sew all the blocks one to another.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow a lot of piecing for sure - well love to see this quilt when it is done

    ReplyDelete