Sunday, September 2, 2018

Border or no Border????????????????

I know I posted that my Texas Star quilt is completed!  Well, not so fast.  I have debated back and forth on this quilt whether I would add a border. Saturday morning, I was cleaning some of my fabric drawers and I came across some solid green fabric left over from a project of long ago.  It's a nice shade of green and it looked really nice next to my star quilt.  So, I got to thinking and spent some time on Pinterest and found this vintage quilt which has become my inspiration.


So, I got out some paper and did some drawing.  I decided from my rough drawing that I would cut 3-inch long parallelograms.  After cutting a couple out I stitched them together to figure out what size square I would need to cut and then cut diagonally to make the triangles to fit. These sewn together makes for about a 5-inch zig-zag border.  Since my star quilt is hand pieced I felt I had to continue.  Most modern patterns would have a seam in the cream triangle but when you hand piece a Y seam is easy, means fewer seams and less cutting. All wins in my book!


I am not sure if I will add a narrow border between the zig-zags and the quilt, time will answer that question. For now, this is filling my desire to stitch in the evenings.  I started watching the Netflix series Ozark Saturday afternoon and was able to get a good start on the first border! So, I guess the answer is yes add a border, well at least on this quilt!







39 comments:

  1. The border is going to be lovely on your quilt. I always like zig zag borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so, but I am pretty sure I am going to like it. I like that they just continued the zig zag instead of making a perfect corner block!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. As you know I am not a big fan of borders but I think I like the zig-zag

      Delete
  3. It will be perfect! Pinterest is such a valuable resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful inspiration quilt and I am impressed by your ability to duplicate the border.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Geometry back in my high school days. Hand piecing skills teaches you skills that aid you in design. You start seeing the same 45 or 60 degree angle being used. I like to buy more fabric instead of specialty rulers.

      Delete
  5. I think that border is going to look beautiful on you quilt. Isn't Pinterest great for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yes Pinterest really helps when you just need a little inspiration. The trouble with Pinterest however is, I can spend hours there.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! I think so too! I am not about quick finishes with my quilts, I love working on them and when they make me happy then I know they are done!

      Delete
  7. Clever to have been inspired by an old quilt's border. I look forward to seeing it on your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, i was inspired to quilt by vintage quilts. Then i was tempted by more challenging quilts. I am now happy to go back to traditional quilts that repeat a great block and if I can add a pieced border that makes me happy I will add one! It doesn't get better than that! I just ordered some background fabric for a nine patch!!!!!!!! So excited!

      Delete
  8. A Y seam is a pleasure with hand piecing! You make me want to get one of my languishing projects out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes turning that corner on a Y seam makes you feel so talented! LOL I love hand piecing in the evening as I find TV a bit boring. Your embroidery posts makes me want to do an embroidery project. I will find time!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  9. That border is going to be perfect for your quilt! Sometimes nothing beats hand stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have always wanted to hand piece and never had enough skills under my belt. But, I am finding out, now that I hand piece that it helps me with my machine piecing. So glad I gave it another go now that I have more time and skill.

      Delete
  10. I love borders and this zig zag will look great on your quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with borders so usually just make more blocks but this one caught my eye

      Delete
  11. I love how that border will look...nice around those lovely stars...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julierose! It will fill my urge to hand piece for another couple of weeks and I agree I think it will enhance my stars.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely border! You are so talented to figure out the size and get it all prepped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the math and geometry side of quilting. So this was right up my alley.

      Delete
  13. It is going to look lovely, love the zig zag borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and I am enjoying the hand piecing. Hand piecing a whole quilt has been a dream of mine for a long time.

      Delete
  14. Can't wait to see it all finished! I like the border.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like your zig zag border -- it's a keeper, I think! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that border you are making.. can't wait to see it finished and attached too... will you do it on 3 sides like the antique border was or on all 4 sides??? Lovely either way!

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might do all four sides. But as you know with quilting a lot of time it's wait to see

      Delete
  17. Great plan! I love the vintage quilt, not surprised it inspired you. Will you border 3 or 4 sides?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought four sides but I am rethinking that! Just love quilting as it never gets boring!

      Delete
  18. Fantastic border! Hope you're keeping the make-do look of the corners too!

    ReplyDelete