Sunday, September 23, 2018

Joyful Stars!

I put in the last stitches today on my Texas Star quilt. This quilt started out with my desire to hand piece and I have always wanted to make a Texas Star.  If your going to hand piece why not make a block that has some y-seams.  Once I got the body of the quilt together, I wasn't sure about adding a border. I'm a leave well enough alone kind of gal, usually, but after looking at it for a bit I came up with a zig-zag border I saw on an antique quilt.  To pull some of the colors out into the border, I added some circles.  I love the way the" make do" borders are so casual and playful.  But, once those three borders were added, it was still speaking to me, and one morning I decided triangles were needed to finish the final border. Working this way is such a joy, so I am naming this one Joyful Stars!

Ready to be basted into a quilt sandwich!




And now, to update the progress on the medallion quilt.   I reached 800  hourglass units this am and hopefully can stitch the last 50 I need this week.  If not, it shouldn't be too long.  I am aiming for a king size quilt so I will start by sewing the hourglass units into subunits that will be added around the medallion.  Assembling the parts into larger parts is tedious.  So, I will take it slow to keep it from becoming too arduous.  I am not setting a goal, but hopefully, it will become a quilt top by the time spring arrives.    It is definitely turning into a long journey quilt as hand quilting this winter will probably take center stage.



12 comments:

  1. I'm in awe, just looking at your Texas Star quilt top, all hand pieced! Great job, but not one I would be likely to tackle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm finally glad to have the skill and tenacity. But,there is always something else to learn

      Delete
  2. I love your quirky quilt. It is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow!!!! Your border really makes the whole thing pop!! This is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of circles on the border. And well done.

    I see a bit of a quilt on the wall in the one picture. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's Baltimore Garden. I love seeing her daily. Sometimes I reach out and touch her, still amazed that I made that quilt.

      Delete
  5. Your Texas Star quilt is a beauty. Love that zig zag border with the fun little circles. Your Medallion quilt is coming along fabulously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had a lot of fun making both of these but am super excited to sewing all those hourglass blocks together around the medallion. Sure hope it looks as good as the picture I have had in my head this whole time.

      Delete
  6. Your Joyful Stars turned out fabulously! Can't wait to see the quilting when you get to that stage.:) Your hourglass squares look so interesting. I've often thought about making an intensive quilt with that block, but just making one {with maybe 60} years ago stops me. Don't know if I have enough willpower to power through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These little hourglass blocks are fun to make. I am glad I pressed and trimmed as I went however. I am trying to get up the courage to use some hst's I have to make a tree of life quilt. Yours was so inspriational!

      Delete