Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Smooth sailing for the most part!

Well, sewing this top together is going better than I imagined that it would.  I guess all the careful trimming and pressing has paid off.  I have really had to be careful with the layout however as it is easy to get one turned wrong and before you know it the whole row is wrong.  I am laying out each section on my kitchen island and then stacking each row on a cookie sheet pan.  So, as I stitch the rows I am constantly checking that the orientation of the little unit is right.    I had to unsew a couple of time because a seam flipped but for the most part, they are staying in the right direction as I feed them into the machine.

Section 1
I got a good start on Section 2 and I woke early this am to sew the last two single rows together.  When I opened them to press much to my surprise I found the lights together.  How did that happen?  It is early, and I did only have one cup of coffee.  LOL!  Well, I unstitched and carefully resewed so now I can move forward.  So here is what is completed so far.

The pic at the top is a more accurate interpretation of the true color. Taking pics before the sun comes up is never a good idea.  I think I will continue to sew this top together before basting my star quilt.  I don't want to lose my train of thought and I really need to clear the sewing table so I can press the top and backing before basting.

10 comments:

  1. Looking great! So glad the plan is working out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks great - it is hard to keep things in order sometimes itsn't it - I have unpicked my share of wrong placed pieces for sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far things have gone well, with an occasional unpicking! I have become quite good at it with all the practice I have had over the years

      Delete
  3. Getting pieces flipped between the design wall and the sewing machine is my nemesis. This is looking wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I must have quilting dyslexia! I must say for the most part it is going well, and I have gotten into a rhythm and my eyes are doing a double check before it gets fed thru the machine.

      Delete
  4. This is awesome ... I was thinking about your "big 9 patch" and wondering how things were going and if you were working on it... glad to hear for the most part you are doing STELLAR!!! I love the colors you chose and how it will look when you are finished will be nothing short of AMAZING I am sure :D Happy stitching!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right it is a king size ninepatch!!!!!!!! But it beats having long rows to deal with, this way there will only be two long seams! Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  5. Just don't get careless and stick the cookie sheet full of blocks into the overn for baking. LOL! A good organization idea for your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hanks for the tip Karen! Everytime I empty it I think about going to the kitchen to make some oatmeal cookies. Not good for either of us, so far I have been good so far!

      Delete