Thursday, October 25, 2018

Marking with soap!

Well, no winners here!  Tom and I are not lottery players but with the big jackpot he picked up several tickets when he filled up with gas.  Of course, we had the typical discussion of what would you do if you won.  Of course, he said I would purchase a big long arm to quilt my quilts.  I am quite sure I would continue my hand work. Perhaps the scenery would change as I traveled around the world but yes those slow stitches would continue!  I haven't made a lot of progress to show you but this project is just there for "me time".  I did enjoy quilting that striped star. Not sure why I don't use more striped fabric in my quilts.


I had a question about marking with soap.  So, I thought I would include a picture of the soap sliver I use and what kind of line it makes.  I don't want to hear any comments about the oils and chemicals etc.  I really hate that part of the quilting community.  I am just sharing this cause I always seem to have a sliver of soap and I don't have to worry about not having something to mark my quilt. I simply use that last sliver of soap instead of throwing it out.  Simple!



12 comments:

  1. Your quilting is lovely and that stripped star is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not used soap but when my sister in law quilted years ago (she no longer does) she used soap and I believe her mother does too - it always washed out!! I never heard any complaints about it. We got tickets while traveling too and I always talk about what I would do with the money and I have never wanted a long arm lol - have no interest in them. I don't think I would want anyone to know if I ever won - I would want to keep it a secret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to dream about winning but I am sure my quilting wouldn't change. Ok maybe for fabric shopping. LOL I saw some comments on a Facebook group that were saying there are oils in soap etc. Some people sure do get hung up don't they?

      Delete
  3. I am glad you showed a sliver of soap actually... sorry you get negative comments about this topic... I can't imagine that honestly. Do you use a certain type or brand of soap I wonder... my soap is Irish Spring and I was told by someone that since it is a deodorant soap it doesn't work well on fabric marking... do you know if that is true?
    I love your quilting... we don't do the lottery as we aren't lucky in that way so we have not had any discussions and SC where the winning ticket was sold is a don't have to tell who you are to collect state.. how does that work I wonder??!!! lol
    Have a blessed rest of your week/weekend. I just emptied the last boxes this morning from our move back in March and now can relax knowing no more of that will need to happen any more! lol Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We use dial and I have never had a problem. Oh I know the feeling of emptying those boxes. Congrats!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showing that. I have to admit that I was curious when you mentioned it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used white soap slivers for years when marking dark fabrics, whether I'm quilting by hand or with the sewing machine. It's perfect and I don't have to worry about the marks coming out. They're usually gone by the time I finish. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Did you see a light bulb go off over my head when I read this? I have been dreading cutting and marking my black hexagons to finally finish off my hexie flowers. I think a sliver of soap would work great to mark the sewing line. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that worked out! It will be great on black and I love being frugel!

      Delete