Wednesday, August 22, 2018

I love stitching!

I love stitching whether it be by machine or by hand. But I have always griped about the cutting process.  But surprisingly, if I just get at it, it's really not that bad.  But then, my sewing room looks like a tornado hit.   I've learned with this project to match up some fabric and limit myself to just cut those.  Once I get thru that stack it's time to clear the scraps and put the smaller scraps into appropriate containers to use for another project.  I am a person who hates clutter so working this way really helps me deal with the mess that I create when I am in the midst of creating and cutting. Look at the stack of quarter square triangles I need to run thru the machine that added up in no time.  Now the chain piecing can begin and I get these trimmed and pressed and ready to go into my quilt.






Sunday evening I was able to get these stars pieced.   I had some red star points that I cut out and unfortunately I only had enough of the scrap to make five points and not the six I needed. Today, I found this red scrap that looks almost the same. I think I am going to finish this one up with one point cut out of the different fabric.  I love seeing that in antique quilts so why not.  Also I hate wasting the five that are already cut.


So what do you think?  I think it will be just fine!



16 comments:

  1. cutting can be a big pain! I think that is what slows my projects down the most

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I agree and the mess is the worst part! Getting hot here again time to head to the sewing room a half hour in the backyard was enough.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of adding a different red. Old quilts have that quirkiness about them, and I think its charming. I'm happy that you are blogging again Carla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I agree it's that quirkiness that makes those qulits special.

      Delete
  3. I like seeing that in antique quilts too but I'm not really brave enough to do it in my own quilts... It's a lovely red star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I have always struggled with letting go too but I think I am ready with this one! I have a feeling I am going to glad I did!

      Delete
  4. Cutting is my least favorite, too. I think your star point works really well--shows off the fact that it is handmade...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, who wants perfect anyway! I have also really enjoy incorporating some of my mom's fabrics into my quilt.

      Delete
  5. I love your little red star all fixed up :) I love these stars and antique quilts too... I am glad this little red star got it's own post in a way too ! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling its going to be my favorite star. I know I was so excited when I came across that scrap of red that was similar. So glad I could finally make it whole.

      Delete
  6. I could use you to keep my sewing room neat. Clutter does not bother me until it gets overwhelming. Right now, it is at that point as I am re-arranging and sorting out what I no longer want. But boy do I have a mess right now in the sewing room, hallway, and family room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I feel for you Karen. Yes it can get out of control. I spent several years trying to use up my stash cause it was getting on my nerves. Now I just buy precuts. I always have that basket of scraps that are small but not small enough to throw away. The more I look at my overflowing basket the more I am thinking they are too small to keep.

      Delete
  7. I think your "make-do" looks great! I like doing little unexpected things in my quilts too--someone in the future will have lots of questions--lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree it makes you wander what the maker was thinking or why! Some of mine were non planned but that it ok!

      Delete
  8. just a little unexpected makes it more interesting! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and to think years ago I had such difficulty picking fabrics for a quilt. So glad I have left that all behind.

      Delete