Monday, August 27, 2018

I Chose the Crooked Path

We all know that life has its ups and downs.  It's what makes life interesting and sometimes challenging. When I was in grade school many years ago, we had to memorize the poem The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost. It still comes to mind every once in a while.  Today is one of those days. As I neared the end of my Texas Star quilt, I decided to make the last two rows separate from the quilt.  So tonight, I have a very crooked path as I stitch that seam.



It also made me realize that the edges of this quilt are very crooked and I knew from the beginning I would be whacking off some of those outside stars to make a straight edge to attach the binding.  I guess I could have just left it as is and bind that crooked edge but that makes the binding complicated.



Well, this morning, as I straightened my sewing room I came across the diamonds I had cut and marked when I first started this quilt.  If you remember I was going to use diamonds instead of the hexagons.  So I decided, why not stitch the diamonds along the outside edges so I wouldn't have to whack as much of the stars off.

 


Two sides are missing star points where the next stars would have been added had I made the quilt larger. So I will add some diamonds there also.   I can hardly wait to turn on the sewing light and settle in and start stitching!  The quilting road has many paths and I really enjoy that!  The challenges and decisions we make on every quilt we make keep the craft interesting.



12 comments:

  1. I would find it hard to bind a quilt with the edges like this and not straight- I have done a couple with scallops edges and fought the whole way with them - when you get around to binding take photos of how you do it - I bet a lot would like to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree.When I finally finish one of my four nexus projects I'll need help with the binding.Love your Texas Stars.I

      Delete
    2. I agree.When I finally finish one of my four hexie projects I'll need help with the binding.

      Delete
    3. Well when I was referring to the crooked path it was the seam across the quilt to add the last two rows. I am adding the diamonds to the outside edge so when I whack off the uneveness I can cut less off. So my next path will be a straight path!

      Delete
  2. I too have only stitched on binding to staright edges. Would love to see how you do this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess everyone read my blog post wrong. My crooked path was the seam across the quilt to add the last two rows. But I do intend on cutting the edges so that they are straight. I am adding the diamonds so I won't have to cut as much off!

      Delete
  3. What a great find and solution for the edges! I am going to have to figure out binding on a not straight edge with my tumblers. A new challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, love that poem by Robert Frost.

      Delete
    2. I remember back when I had to memorize it what a chore. But, I have thought about those words a lot over the years. It has become my favorite poem. I only adding the diamonds so that I won't have to trim as much off. But, there will be a whacking!

      Delete
  4. I'm working on a hexagon quilt top, and have thought to straighten the edge by hand appliqueing it to a border, rather than cutting off any of my hard work... And I LOVE that particular poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the diamonds are a great solution. I highly recommend quilting it and attaching the binding before you trim.
    lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete