Sunday, August 5, 2018

Hand Appliqued Border

Today, I hope to get a good start on a needle turned appliqued border for my medallion block.  At first, a thought a sawtooth border might work but it didn't play well with those thin spikes.  I also tried a diamond pieced border and it seemed a bit busy.  From those two ideas, I came up with a one fabric border with wavey curves. Those curves seem to complement the compass so I am moving forward. 
I made a paper template using a quarter and my pencil and paper,  much like quilters long ago.  Yes, my curves are not identical but all in all they will look just wonderful.


It's been a while since I had done any needle turn applique.  This gently curved border is very nice to stitch. I used my machine to baste it in place and marked the curves with a sliver of soap.  All that basting keeps everything right where it belongs and the perforations made by the machine stitches help when I go to turn under the seam allowance on the curves with my needle.  Not sure I will get all four sides finished today, but I will have a  whole lot of fun trying.


6 comments: