Saturday, August 11, 2018

Decision made!

It's always a good feeling to make some progress on my quilts.  I finished the applique on my medallion block on Sunday evening. That was a big hurdle. I haven't done any applique since I made Baltimore Garden. Not sure that I ever would after all of the small pieces and time I spent on it, but I must admit it was fun to do the simple wavy border on my medallion block.  Of course Monday morning I had to play a bit and I pulled out my hourglass blocks to see how they were going to play with the medallion block.  It's always a bit scary to see reality instead of the fantasy one has in their head.  But, I have always had a pretty good knack to envision a project in my head.  So, no big surprise, but I was very pleased to see it in reality.



I planned on making a 60"X60" quilt, but I think that has changed. I could really use another king size quilt for my bed so I will forge onward.  It's really not a  hard decision, after all, I just love pairing up reproduction fabrics and making the hourglass blocks.  I do wish I would win the lottery so I could hire a professional fabric cutter to do all the cutting. LOL  But if I cut a few and sew a few it seems to go pretty well.  I was able to make 59 more hourglass blocks so the journey to a king size quilt has actually begun.

 I have been storing my blocks in this box.  There are over 400 but that is only about halfway to the count I need.  It's good thing I really enjoy making these.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's going to be a alot of fun laying out sections when it comes time to assemble them!

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous fabrics in those hourglass blocks. This quilt will be spectacular when you've finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes this quilt is all about the fabrics. One of the reasons I decided to go king size is so that I can enjoy all the fabrics in it daily.

      Delete
  3. Love the wavy border! I too find decisions difficult, so glad this one was easy for you. It will be a stunning quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love when I finally find something that pleases me but until then it can be frustrating.

      Delete
  4. The wavy green border is wonderful. It looks especially good against the white background. Hourglass blocks are a lovely next border. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is going to be a fabulous quilt, Carla. That medallion blows my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for going bigger! What lovely colors and fabrics! I saw in your previous post how you appliqued that border. I never would have known that was how it was done. I always wondered how people ended up with borders like that.

    What method do you use to make the Hourglass blocks?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will be BEAUTIFUL! Perhaps adding a white border outside the green wavy one would help the hourglass blocks show up better, and cut back on the need for so many of them before the quilt gets finished? Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use the cut a few, sew a few method as well—it keeps me moving and not just sitting in one spot for hours on end. Your wavy border is the perfect way to frame your compass block.

    ReplyDelete