Sunday, July 15, 2018

Time travel to February 2017

Well I went back in my blog and didn't see any post about my star quilt that I machine pieced using Y seams.  I started out hand piecing one block and then watched Edyta Sitar's Y seam You Tube video on doing Y seams by machine.  Well, the machine won out.  I think it had to do with all those seams that come together in the middle of the star.   I took the time and marked the seam lines as if I were hand piecing so that I would know when to start and stop my seams. It took a bit more time but was well worth the effort.



 I would make a few blocks every time I entered the sewing room and soon I was able to start assembling them in rows.  I have always loved stars when it came to quilts and this one has the secondary star that forms when the blocks come together.  Definitely a win win!

All my blocks laid out!
Then it was time to start assembling them adding the triangles in between the stars!

I find it easier to create sections that I later sew together.
I just love the colors in this quilt. I have a stone wall and fireplace in our family room and I can't wait to get this quilted so it can be displayed over the stone wall. But right now, we have been hitting 100 degrees plus daily.  So the hand quilting will have to wait till fall!


10 comments:

  1. we are in the high 90s every day so I know how you feel. I have barely been working on the birds in the hoop - luckily working at the frame is different. Last night I sat out on the porch at 9:30 PM when it was dark and "only" 88 degrees - I read for about 30 minutes but then it still just felt way too hot and I came inside.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will watch Edyta's video. I enjoy watching her. She makes everything look so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she does! My machine has a fix stitch that really worked great at each dot and better to be a stitch shy than to go past the dot.

      Delete
  3. I love your quilt finish! I am sooo impressed with your precision on this kind of block by machine too... great work!!! Thanks for sharing it today :D Can;t wait for fall here either .. even NC is having a heat wave this summer! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I honestly impressed myself! Now to figure out how I want to quilt it

      Delete
  4. Love your stars! You did s beautiful job in machine stitching the stars. They are perfect. This is a lovely quilt top. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am not a big fan of yellow but this shade just called to me. Can't wait to get it on my hoop this fall

      Delete
  5. Beautiful quilt! Love that muted yellow for the diamonds, it sets the stars off perfectly. I think this summer heat seems worse this year.... I'm just happy to be home in my AC again after a trip up north where there was none! Stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Deb! Yeah living in the south with ac beats no air up north.

    ReplyDelete