Monday, July 23, 2018

Medallion Block

Getting ready to make my medallion block for the Medallion hourglass quilt.  My very spikey compass block will be made out of three different prints and a neutral solid background fabric.  I went with browns and golds so that it wouldn't overpower the colorful hourglass blocks but hopefully play nicely.

To get the accuracy I will be paper foundation piecing the block. A friend of mine suggested using a method with freezer paper that allows you the same accuracy but you don't stitch thru the paper. Yeah, you got it no tearing out the paper after the block is finished. Since the spikes are very narrow I will need to remove the paper before sewing the parts together and pulling the freezer paper off the back in one piece is going to wonderful.  

First, I have to attach a copy of my pattern to freezer paper and stitch on the lines with my machine without thread to transfer the lines to the freezer paper.  I am using my open toe foot so that I can clearly see the lines.  I need 16 of Piece A, that should take a while since I am only stacking my freezer paper two deep, so I don't lose any accuracy. I made a practice piece a week or two ago and oh boy I am so glad that I did. Many mistakes were made that hopefully will make for a successful block in the end.  One of the things I learned,  precutting the pieces at least 1/2 inch larger than the actual template will really speed things up and ensure the piece isn't cut too short or too narrow.  The process has begun and I will make all 16 on pattern piece A first.  Repetition really is a plus when quilt making. Well, that is if we make the first one correct! LOL  Looks like I am off to a good start, wish me luck!








3 comments:

  1. repetition is nice - if you first mess up by the 3rd or 4th it should be right!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've used that method, and really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you luck! Most paper piecing is a foreign language to me and translates to BIG MESS! I like that honeycomb fabric.

    ReplyDelete