Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Medallion Block Day 3

Today, I didn't have much time in the sewing room.  But I was able to stitch thru the rest of the foundation patterns with my machine to transfer the foundation pattern to the freezer paper.  As I said in an earlier post this method of foundation paper piecing is one in which you do not sew thru the paper.  The paper is folded back and the stitching is done along the fold.  So, when I stitch thru the paper to transfer the pattern to the freezer paper it perforates the lines making them easy to crease. Once the fabric is stitched, then the seam is pressed and the fabric adheres to the freezer paper ready for the next piece to be added.

Pattern pieces pierced and pre-cut fabric ready to go!

As you can see I  got some of the fabric precut.  Do you see that green fabric, yes I made some big decisions about fabric usage?  I kept playing around with the three fabrics I had planned on using and it just didn't click. So, I decided to add three more colors.  Green, blue and red and they will alternate in one spike position around the compass.  That should perk it up a bit and help tie it to all the color in the hour glass blocks that will surround it!  My excitement is building, but I think I will wait till the am to stitch when my mind is fresh!

7 comments:

  1. that sounds like an interesting way to paper piece - I don't care for sewing through paper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well. The spikes on this medallion are reall narrow so picking out the paper would not have been fun

      Delete
  2. Your welcome. I love quilting as there are so many techniques to learn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not a big fan of paper piecing but I can see that it would be very useful in making these spikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I could never see my self doing a large paper pieced quilt, but I have enjoyed learning the technique and it is great for adding a block or two that can really spice up a quilt.

      Delete
  4. Interesting way to paper piece. I think I would have to try it to totally understand your technique. I'm not a fan of paper piecing mostly because I get my pieces turned every which way or cut too small, etc. It's not too bad when the pieces are all the same like a pickle dish or double wedding ring or something like that.

    Thanks for blogging about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this was pretty simple and I am glad I only need one block

      Delete