Friday, July 27, 2018

Medallion Day 4 +

Well with all the pieces pre-cut for the next two sections, today I will enjoy the paper piecing process.  It takes a bit of time to press each piece and then trim to one quarter inch seam and line up the next piece and stitch.  But the results are well worth it on a block like this.  I can't imagine trying to handpiece or applique this block.   I have included some pics I took today as I worked.  I didn't quite get all of these done in one afternoon, so I got up early this am and finished making the last four units. 

my add a quarter rule has really come in handy

stitching next to the fold line really helps to keep the stitching straight

love the accuracy I am getting


a finished unit all trimmed up


I must say my favorite part is trimming the unit to its final size.  Then turning it over and seeing a beautiful unit.  I am so happy to have these pieces completed.  Next, it will be time to assemble it! But that will have to wait for another day!

all the units laid out waiting to be assembled

6 comments:

  1. I like how you are doing this but wonder why you are not doing regular paper piecing by sewing on the paper - I haven't seen it done this way - is it just your way because you don't like sewing on the paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because these points are very sharp and I didn't want to have to pick out bits of paper as any bits left will make sewing the pieces together that much more difficult. I also like the idea that the freezer paper comes off quite easily in one piece and I won't distort the unit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh...you made quick work of that! You got right to the point, I guess. How exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I have spent all my free time on it. I will be glad when it is done. Had to pick up my hand piecing to relax this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Simply amazing, Carla. Your precision is incredible. What a cool looking block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I sure hope it looks surrounded by those hourglass blocks!

      Delete