Saturday, July 7, 2018

Documenting my medallion quilt

I have always loved medallion quilts.  Especially old antique Dutch quilts that are spools or hourglass blocks with a center block.  I made a miniature one years ago out of some scraps.  And since then I have wanted to make a larger medallion quilt.


So I went thru my stash and pulled out a box of fabrics and started to make 3 1/2 inch hourglass blocks.  I love pairing up lights and darks to make these cute little blocks.  I have been cutting as I go and have been able to do about dozen or so blocks daily.  Too make the pressing and trimming less daunting in the end, I am doing that as I go. Here are some of the photos of daily accomplishments.  Once I get the center medallion block finished I can get all of these out and play with how they will be set.  Do you have a great way to mix up your scrappy blocks when you get ready to come up with a layout?













11 comments:

  1. Love this! I just try and space out the colors in each row for balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would place them as randomly as possible myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I definitely am not going to put too much effort but I don't want all the darker blocks on one half of the quilt. I find a large paper sack works well

      Delete
  3. I mix things up as much as I can. Sometimes, I lay all the blocks out and try not to get too much of one color or one fabric in an area. Other times, I just start sewing a row and keep it out in front of me as I sew the next row and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving your hour glass progress and your goal of a large medallion quilt :) What are you planning your center medallion to be I wonder? To make my scrappy quilts scrappy I lay out like things in separate piles like I am dealing a deck of cards and then lay another pile of like colors on top of those ... may have 12 piles or more! Have fun however you do it ... you seem to have a lot of variety built into your hour glasses already!! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done that too! I will probably do that with these then throw them in a paper sack and shake them up Then I'll lay out the sections and tweek it here or there just trying to keep two alike apart.

      Delete