Sunday, March 17, 2019

Sunflower start

I am inpatiently waiting for block 9 to come out on Monday for the Hand Pieced QAL.  I have gotten in such a habit of stitching every day that I felt at a loss yesterday.  So I made some templates for a sunflower block.  Sunflower quilts are so stunning and it has been a dream to make one.  Then I saw Cathy's sunflower quilt on her blog  Sane,Crazy, Crumbly Quilting. I just love Cathy's blog she has such an eye for color and her scrappy quilts all make me smile. If you haven't seen her sunflower quilt its worth the time to hop over and see it.


 I use cereal box cardboard for my templates. I  rubber cement  two layers together and then print out the templates and glue them in place. Then using a rotary cutter for the straight lines and scissors forthe curves, I carefully cut them out.  The rubberr cement is perfect to use as no bubbles form on thepaper.  The added layer of cardboard makes them about the thickness of a quilting ruler so I can easily use my small rotary cutter to cut the fabric.



So I started my making pairs of piece A and B then adding C then pairing up those pairs until I had 16 units paired up.  I finished by backbasting some fabric to the center using my machine and hand appliquing the center to the the block.


I am very pleased at my first attempt at a sunflower block  I still need to applique it to some fabric to finish the block, but the scary part is over.  It wasn't as difficult as I had imagined,. I see making more of these as the summer progresses.  But I still need to get back to my hst's and decide what to do with them.  But it sure has been fun practicing my hand piecing.

17 comments:

  1. I love sunflowers but I hate making templates! I have seen Cathy's sunflower and it is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind using templates or making them. I use them to mark quilts for quilting too as I can make them the size I need and stencils never seem to fit.

      Delete
  2. Lovely sunflower! It's fun to make a trial block, who knows where it will lead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always loved sunflowers and you are right who knows where it will lead

      Delete
  3. I'm not good at cutting little pieces with a rotary cutter so I just make paper patterns and pin them to the fabric and cut all the pieces with scissors. Just like in the olden days when I made clothes.

    Glad you gave it a try!! It's wonderful and I hope you do make more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see more in my future. I use scissors too sometimes but my little rotary cutter worked really well.

      Delete
  4. That looks so pretty! I think I did a sunflower in one of my samplers and it was easier than I was fearing it would be. So glad you gave it a shot and liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your sunflower is amazing! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought too Cathy's sunflower quilt was lovely. Maybe this summer I'll give it a try, sounds like a good pick up/put down project for evenings. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's great for evening stitching. I think that is why I have turned to hand piecing as of late

      Delete
  7. That is an awesome sunflower block Carla! You are sooo talented :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi, there always seems to be new things to try and enjoy

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks, sunflowers are lovely in the garden and make a pretty quilt too

      Delete
  9. Well done on the sunflower block. I just made a sunflower block but it was applique. Nothing like yours.

    ReplyDelete