Thursday, February 7, 2019

Motivation!

With a nice week of weather here in Texas, I have been motivated to get some quilting done.  I was able to finish hand quilting my Stars, Stars, and More Stars quilt.  It sure was a fun quilt to quilt. The big stitching really helped to get it done quickly.  It's not a large quilt, lap size approximately 68x78.


 I found a piece of barn red, rust colored fabric in my stash that is large enough to make the binding.  I am always happy when I can find something in my stash that will work.



So, finishing the quilting motivated me to get my medallion off the floor in our front room. It's been layed out there in nine sections for over a month.  So close to being a top and then ignored. Well, I have to admit I despise the long seams that are needed to stitch  it together.  But this Tuesday I started stitching together sections and by Wednesday morning I only had the last two seams to stitch to bring the three sections together.  So I woke up early had a cup of coffee and headed to the sewing room and got it done.  It really wasn't so bad and with all the trimming I did to make these blocks all the same size it really went together very easily.  I laid it out on my bed to see how much of a border I will need.  Looks like five inches is plenty so I will order fabric so that that top will be ready in fall to be quilted.  It's a king size quilt so it should keep me plenty busy next winter.


Next I needed to get my hand pieced block made for the Hand Pieced-a quilt along. This is block number three.  It is made up of eight flying geese.  So I am using the stitch and flip method.  I have used this method when machine piecing but never hand piecing.   It's funny how I marked my seams on my stars stars and more stars quilt as would when hand piecing, and now I am using a method that machine quilters have used for quite some time. As I am getting older I find holding very small pieces really bothers my hands and this method really helped.
.




11 comments:

  1. what a pretty quilt top! this will be a really good one for your quilting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah this one will be in the hoop for a while. But all the pretty fabrics should help me keep interested.

      Delete
  2. Wow Carla! You have had a very focused week for sure... binding... producing a flimsy and hand piecing a block! GREAT WORK!!! And blogging it all!!! And you got photos of your progress :D AWESOME!!! thanks for sharing :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like your star quilt is almost there too! Yes it's good to get some things done. Now to keep moving forward

      Delete
  3. Oh wow! Love, love, love that medallion quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had so much fun making the hourglass blocks. It's king size and took a lot of them but so much fun pairing up fabrics and seeing how they play off one another. Doesn't get better than that!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful block! Thanks for linking up with the Hand Pieced QAL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too don't like long seams but your medallion looks spectacular and well worth the bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I am so glad that I took the time to make and trim each hourglass block as it went together really well. Hope my border fabric arrives soon!

      Delete
  6. The medallion center in this quilt is WOW! A challenge to piece for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes it was a bugger even though it was paper pieced! Those long skinny spikes are challenging. I am excited to start working on the border so I can hand quilt it. It's gonna be a couple of winters I think to get it stitched!

    ReplyDelete