Sunday, February 17, 2019

A new beginning!

Although finishing a quilt is exciting and sometimes daunting as you have to let go, it does mean there is time for dreaming and new beginnings.  That is just what happened at my house this week.  I was inspiried by a couple of bloggers Quilting in the Past II and Frameless Mind. They inspired each other to make a quilt of half square triangles.  I was looking for something to use up some scraps and something I could stitch in the evenings.  Of course, if you follow my blog you know I like old quilts and their quilts gave me that sense.  So, it wasn't long and I started cutting out my pieces.  I have so enjoyed the Hand Pieced Quilt Along that I decided yes.  I am going to hand piece this one. So after cutting my pieces I mark my seam lines and start stitching.



I have come to the point in my quilting journey that it's not so much about a new pattern that inspires me but the time I give myself each day to sit and stitch.  I have found over the last couple of years I throughly enjoy hand piecing.  It was my dream years ago to make a quilt totally by hand, now that I know I can, and I enjoy it, it's the path I have chosen. This was my progress this week! I am looking forward to stitching and dreaming about how I will set my HST's.






14 comments:

  1. that will be so fun. I used to only hand piece and although it was slower going I thoroughly enjoyed it - I made two double wedding rings by hand, log cabins, even some that said they were for paper piecing I have lost track of how many by hand and enjoyed them all -- it isn't about how many quilts you make but how much you enjoy making them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Karen, it's not about how many but how much you enjoy making them. I guess that is why there are so many UFO's out there.

      Delete
  2. In my books there is nothing like hand stitching, and it is amazing how much progress you can make when you think that you are making none at all. I know the quilts that you refer to in this post and you are off to a wonderful start. It will be so wonderful to see all those bits and pieces together as one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I guess I have been making quilts long enough to follow my heart! It's no fun doing something that doesn't give you joy. Maybe, that is why there are so many ufo's LOL

      Delete
  3. So fantastic to start by sewing a quilt with a hand stitch. This will be great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your hst journey :) I love seeing what you are making for sure!!! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I have been on the wrong path for awhile but it feels good to have my path again.

      Delete
  5. What a fun new project! I am enjoying this quilt along and have the next hand pieced project all picked out. Lots of fun shapes to play with when you hand stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am looking forward to some of the more complicated looking blocks.

      Delete
  6. I started my quilting days with doing it all by hand, and I am happy to return to it,

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoy hand piecing when I do it. And applique. I need to make more space and time for those projects. You are in inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy your journey! It is really rewarding to make a quilt completely by hand. :)

    ReplyDelete