Sunday, February 24, 2019

Slow Piecing!

I can't believe another week has passed. Sometimes I wonder where the time goes.  Reflecting back over the week I do realize I got quite a few things done.  I first tackled my king size medallion quilt. It needed a border, fabric was ordered, and this week I was able to cut the border and get it sewn on.  This will be added to the line up of quilts that need to be quilted.





I also pulled out my version of the trailing vines quilt. It took me a while to applique the five strips But I think it took me longer to decide on what color I wanted to use as the alternate fabric.  Pink was used in the original quilt made by Susan Mc Cord.  I thought I would use a green as it's my favorite but after lots and lots and lots of shopping I decided it needed to be pink.  Then there was lots and lots of more shopping to find a shade of pink that would work for the quilt and my taste.  My version of the quilt will be a strippy quilt. So, I cut the alternate strips this week.  Hopefully it will turn into a top next week and join the others waiting to be quilted. I have always loved finishing quilts more than starting them. Although, these are not finished getting them to this point is like reaching the summit of a mountain, it's down hill from here. The quilting is thrilling and my favorite part of making a quilt.


Each eveing this week I have spent a bit of time hand piecing my HST's.  I have over 100 completed so far.  I kitted up my box with 100 more to take with me on vacation the second week in March. Since we are driving, I will have time to stitch here and there. Today I will linking up with Slow Stitching Sunday and visiting other bloggers to see their slow stitching progress as I hand piece a few more HST's. 



17 comments:

  1. hand piecing is such a good project to take with you when you travel - I see you have one of those little seam rollers too - I got one last year and then keep forgetting I have it and rarely use it! I did use it a lot last year though when we were in the camper traveling.
    I like that applique and it does look like it was tedious work! but pretty in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually one I borrowed from the wallpaper kit. It works really great! Yeah I think hand piecing will be very doable in the car.

      Delete
  2. That is a lot of hand stitching in those vines!! And also in hand piecing those HST blocks!
    Great take along box with all the supplies and tools you need... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a lot of stitches and many more before they are finished quilts. But what's not to love!

      Delete
  3. Oh how I love both of these quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved piecing the medallion it was all about the beautiful fabrics and how the scraps played off one another. Working on the trailing vines was like being in my garden.

      Delete
  4. So pretty! Love the little travel kit - I need to prep one of those for a vacation trip soon. I can't wait to see what the hst's turn into - so many possabilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb I really like the idea of making oodles of these and then deciding how to lay them out

      Delete
  5. Time just flies by for me as well - there just isn't enough time! Your works in progress are beautiful and are sure to be treasures when they are finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I am so glad I discovered quilting instead of wasting that time

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work. I wandered in from Slow Stitching Sunday. Happy Stitches ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. I love seeing all the slow stitching projects too

      Delete
  7. Your strippy applique quilt looks so pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing the next stage with the other strips added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I had so much fun making the scrappy leaves to applique onto the strips.

      Delete
  8. Your trailing vine quilt is so pretty. Yes, I think pink is a fabulous choice. The blue border on your Medallion quilt looks perfect and oh my goodness you certainly have hand stitched a lot of HST's! I love the soft hues you have chosen. You certainly have had a busy week filled with happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I am pretty excited about my trailing vines quilt it's been a slow journey but I have enjoyed the whole process

      Delete
  9. Every so often, I see a quilter working on the strippy vines quilt design. I certainly admire those that can stick with the applique of so many leaves. You can use just about any small print and color for the leaves.

    ReplyDelete