Friday, February 15, 2019

Hand Pieced- a Quilt a Long Week 4




Well, hand piecing a block a week for this quilt a long has not been stressful at all. I like to sit in the evening after a busy day and hand stitch. It's so very relaxing and would be hard to explain to someone who has never done it.  I think the repetition of the needle moving up and down thru the fabric gives us time to let our mind wander and relax from all the other thoughts that are usually flowing thru our busy heads. Maybe it's a bit like the deep breathing we do when we meditate or do yoga.


 I made so many of these by machine for my king size quilt, but I still enjoy the simplicity of this block.  Well, we are almost to the half way point on this quilt a long.  I am looking forward to the day I can start hand quilting it!



6 comments:

  1. good comparison of yoga and hand piecing - you can really relax with hand work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blocks Carla! I find hand quilting meditative like you do the piecing by hand... I am unable to do that part by hand due to arthritis unfortunately ... I am sure it would be the same for me though if I could... lovely blocks! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand I can't do EPP for the same reason. So glad that hand quilting, applique, and hand piecing are still doable. I do try to not overdo it and mix up the techniques so as not to overdo.

      Delete
  3. Lovely blocks. Thanks for linking up to the Hand Pieced QAL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done a little hand piecing over the years. I can understand how you find it relaxing.

    ReplyDelete