Sunday, January 5, 2020

Happy New Year!

Well, I have made it!  For a lot of decades, it seemed like 2020 was so far off in the future.  It's the year I become a full fledged senior citizen.  I would see that year so often when planning our retirement.  Wow and now it has officially arrived.


I have seen a lot of bloggers listing their finishes for 2019 and posting their lists of what they want to do in 2020.  I have no idea when my projects will be completed.  I like just plodding along and doing what I feel like doing.  I do have to admit that I am alittle excited about finishing my trailing vines. The quilting stitches are really creating such a wonderful texture.  But, I must be patient, those slow stitches take time.  I try to enjoy some slow stitches daily, but sometimes I'm too tired or I am busy with other things.  I marked the diagonal lines on strip number 8 of 11 strips in the quilt, so I am making good progress.  I need to make a label and get some fabric for the binding, but I'll wait till the quilting is done to face all that.


Isn't the texture lovely?  I have a rock wall in my home that I use to showcase my quilts.  It's a great way for me to add some color to my home as the seasons change.  I can't wait to see my trialing vines on the wall.  Right now, I have my ocean waves draped there and it will stay up until after Valentine's Day.  I think my trailing vines would be perfect for spring!


I will admit, as much as I love making quilts, I will spend more time in 2020 knitting and crossstitching and making small projects. I have purchased 12 of The Prairie Schooler Santas that I want to crossstitch.  I bought my first pattern back in the early 1980's I think it is about time I started stitching them up!


 I will continue to work on the Sentimental Stitches Cheddarback quilt. There are three more months of downloads after January.   Once completed, it will be added to the waiting to be quilted tops. I also have started making blocks for Kathleen Tracey's mystery quilt.  It's a small 30 inch quilt and my first go at a mystery.  I have alot of small scraps that I hope will work for this one.  These tops will get done one by one as fall and winter arrive each year.  My daughter in law said to me the other day it must be nice to be retired and enjoying each day the way you do.  I think, she is absolutely right, just plodding along enjoying life.

24 comments:

  1. Hey Carla... I LOVE the photo of your stone wall with ocean waves on it!!! how delightful that wall and your quilt on it is! I can't wait for the quilt you are working on now to have it's turn when it is done too. I look forward to seeing your new projects this year... I didn't do a recap and I don't have firm plans besides the quilt in my frame and things bubbling in my sewing room but no deadlines... Retirement is delightful... I despise days I need to set an alarm to make sure I am up for a dr appt or a trip into Asheville for something... besides those days I too enjoy cleaning when the mood strikes and stitching something someway somehow other days :) Happy 2020!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi! Isnt it wonderful to escape the stresses of everyday with our stitching

      Delete
  2. happy retirement! you will have a variety of things to work on from what you say. me too between quilts and yarn I have plenty and then in the spring it will be gardening too. I love, love those trailing vines

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing your progress on Trailing Vines and your ocean waves looks stunning on the wall. Prairie Schooler designs are a lot of fun to stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue I'm really excited to get back to crosstitching and a year of Santas should be fun

      Delete
  4. How wonderful that you will have more time for stitching and less time working!
    The texture on your vines quilt is stunning!
    So fun to start stitching on an almost 40 year old project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow I hadn't done the math. But it is almost forty years how did that happen LOL

      Delete
  5. I love working on the Prairie Schooler Santas. I cross-stitch more than I quilt. I really have to start the quilt I have planned for my daughter. I really like the texture on your trailing vines quilt. So very pretty. I love where you display your quilts. That rock wall is pretty. I hang mine on a large wall on my 2nd floor landing and over the railing that surrounds it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great place to display a quilt. I love having mine out where I can see them

      Delete
  6. I love being retried. I will love receiving a pension too when we finally apply for the. I am truly impressed and inspired by your plodding along and doing what you feel attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we haven't drawn on ours either that will happen in 2021. Yes plodding is wonderful!

      Delete
  7. I love your Father Christmas, he does look happy. Hopefully we will get a look at the finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that happens at least by the end of Feb. It is fun to have several different kinds of projects going at once but it slows down the time it takes to finish each one. But I love finishes too much for that not to happen

      Delete
  8. The texture on your Trailing Vines is truly sumptuous! So wonderful you now have time to stitch whenever you desire. May your new year be filled with many delightful stitching pretties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. I feel truly blessed to be able to retire and to relax

      Delete
  9. I love seeing that beautiful vines quilt and that ocean waves always makes me smile. Lucky you - congrats on retirement and I agree, the way you have chosen to enjoy every day is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on meeting your goal! I understand about being too tired and/or to busy to slow stitch. The red and white ocean waves is striking. I have a prairie schooler santa also waiting for me for a few years. Enjoy plodding in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill and it's nice to just enjoy stitching when the desire is there

      Delete
  11. Congrats on meeting your goal! I understand about being too tired and/or to busy to slow stitch. The red and white ocean waves is striking. I have a prairie schooler santa also waiting for me for a few years. Enjoy plodding in 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ocean waves quilt is beautiful! She looks so nice on the rock wall, trailing vines will look lovely there too. Enjoy the slow stitching and enjoy retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The red and white quilt on the wall looks oh so good! Perfect for display this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Gretchen! I love having my quilts out on display.

    ReplyDelete