Saturday, January 11, 2020

Cheddarback quilt January blocks

It's cold here in Texas this am, after some balmy temps this week.  Yesterday we had the backdoor open enjoying some fresh air and this morning we woke to some snow on the ground.  Personally, I could do without it!  Our first snow in four years so I guess I shouldn't complain.



I spent a lot of time this week working on the January blocks for Cheddarback and found them quite challenging.  I definitely could pull from the variety of techniques quilters use to accomplish making a block.  I didn't sew any by hand but did use sewing seam to seam like hand piecers do and also used paper piecing to accomplish accuracy working with such tiny triangles.  I really don't mind paper piecing but it seems to take a lot more time and I always feel it wastes alot of fabric, but it does make some blocks doable.  I am pleased that I was able to make all of the blocks.


6 comments:

  1. the temperatures are the worst thing about all of this sometimes - I was in a long sleeve light Tee yesterday at 68-70 most of the day and this morning it is 38 and that is already dropping it was about 56 at midnight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree our snow didn't happen till about sunrise. Glad it's gone already

      Delete
  2. Our crazy weather is something isn't it... we have had snow a couple times this new year and last night had high winds and tornado watches were out.. in the mountains of North Carolina of all things!
    I really love your blocks that you have made... keep up the good work . I hope it is 4 years or more before you have another dusting of snow. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the weather is crazy we had a tornado watch here too, but that is pretty normal for Texas. Thanks for your kind words about my blocks. I feel really good that I could tackle these and have them turn out. I have come a long way baby!

      Delete
  3. I took a look at the Cheddarback patterns for this month and set them aside to deal with later--lol! Your blocks look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are a bit challenging but all in all not horrible. I would like to enlarge the four pointed star and try it again and make a pillow out of it! Not sure if enlarging it on a copy machine would work, guess I need to do some more investigating.

    ReplyDelete