Sunday, January 27, 2019

Week 3 Stars Stars and More Stars!

I started the hand quilting on Stars Stars and More Stars on January 6th!  The first two weeks of quilting I finished 16 stars each week.  This week I got a few more done with 19 stars completed. That brings me to 51 of 95 whole stars completed and there will be 10 half stars to do also.  Looks like I will be able to complete this one before it gets too warm to be under a quilt with wool batting. Anyway, that's the goal!

Not the greatest photo but the sun isn't out yet this am

I finally pulled out a basket to keep all my hand quilting supplies together.  Since I quilt on a hoop, I tend to move around the house when I quilt.  It is so easy to lose my thimble or aunt becky. Do you have a designated hand quilting area. I tend to quilt on the sofa or in my sewing room most of the time. Sometimes I set up in the corner of my kitchen.





This basket will also work for my hand piecing. I joined in on the Hand Pieced A quilt a long and finished my first block. I am looking forward to block number 2.  I really like the accuracy and the way you can deal with pressing the seams after stitching since you don't stitch the seams down.  Learning to hand piece has made me a better machine piecer too.  Stars Stars and More Stars is a machine pieced quilt, but I used a pencil to mark the seam lines and sewed to the dot to accomplish the Y seams. I feel you get a better understanding how geometric pieces can fit together and hand piecing them really makes it so doable.  Afterall, quilting has always been a fun craft for me.  In the beginning I loved a new challenge but now I prefer to just enjoy the stitching whether it be piecing or quilting. It doesn't get better than that!





12 comments:

  1. sounds like you are enjoying hand piecing! I have always loved doing that. Of course you know I have a designated hand quilting spot and need no basket but I do have the little tray attached to my quilting frame for supplies. When I hand sew i the living room I tend to stick all my bits in a pottery bowl to keep near by

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have seen your little tray. I used to quilt at a floor quilt and see where that would be very handy.

      Delete
  2. I like wool batting for hand quilting too, the needle stitches so smooth and easily. I had thought about joining in the HQAL but decided not to. I have my quilt to work on and Lucy keeps looking at me and trying to make me feel guilty. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use wool for quilts when I can but I also love Hobbs poly down. The wool still wins when it comes to keeping it's loft. I have a king size quilt with cotton batting that is so heavy. It takes forever in the dryer too

      Delete
  3. Love your star quilt! Enjoy your beautiful hand stitching blocks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love star quilts and am so happy I overcame my fear of Y seams

      Delete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful! I love the colors and the big stitching. I've never used big stitches on my quilts (well, maybe unintentionally, :) but would like to try it someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big stitching takes some practice but really is great for pieced quilts. This one is turning out so soft and cozy, I can't wait to use it in the evenings while watching a movie.

      Delete
  5. I love your basket with the organization in it... I hand quilt in 1 main area and 2 minor areas... i have stuff in each area for whatever that areas purpose is :) I move things around I haven't duplicated yet but try to duplicate items when possible so I don't get into a project to find out I have to stop to find an item I need like a thimble or hemostats or something. Good idea to come up with a moveable item like a basket... I love glass bowls too.. I have one by each of my sewing machines for little gadgets each one needs :) I may have to borrow some of your shared ideas!
    You are doing great work on your quilting ... I sometimes wish I could choose a simple yet stunning pattern like your stars... I might finish more hand projects if I chose my patterns more carefully at the beginning! lol I am certainly thinking that about my star quilt now!!! Enjoy your hand piecing... I am watching you and others I follow enviously as I promised not to start new projects and hand piecing and arthritis just don't go together for me anymore... thanks for sharing though! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi. I feel the same way you do it takes a lot of thought before I start a new project. I know i definitely will be doing smaller projects in the future

      Delete
  6. So glad you are enjoying the hand piecing. I have a couple of 'baskets' with things - a zippered bag with crochet and knitting - so the kitties don't get in it and one by my recliner. A set of 2 baggies in the console of the car with needles, pins, scissors and some inklingo parts for lemoyne stars and some hexagons to baste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does help! I still store my applique needles in the needle book you made me. I have another one I had made for my quilting between if they are still viable for the next project.

      Delete