Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Hand Pieced A Quilt Along

I have had a bundle of solids that I have had for some quite some time.  So when the Hand Pieced, a quilt along started this week I decided to join in the fun.  There is a button on the side bar if you would like more information.


I have found myself in the last few years I have found myself really enjoying hand piecing.  My first project was a trip around the world where I just used what I called the ugly fabics in the my stash.  It was a way to use them and practice.  I was amazed at how well it turned out and that I enjoyed stitching from dot to dot.


Last year, I hand pieced my Texas Star quilt and again was very pleased.  I even hand pieced a border, I never would have thought I could actually do that and get it done.


So when this hand piece quilt along showed up I decided I wanted in.  I plan on using solids for the whole project.  I have a solid gray that will be used for sashing and the border. I have found in the past it's hard to piece with solids as they can be a bit boring after working with pretty prints in the past. But, I do love hand quilting solids so I will keep that in mind.  This project fits my purposes in many ways.  No hurry one block a week for 9 weeks and the results will be  a great top to hand quilt some time in the future!

My first block for the piece along a sixteen patch

Love the way you can twirl the seams!

13 comments:

  1. I was going to do that quilt along but then I decided that with one piecing project already put aside for a little bit now and one EPP that it was enough and the samplers just aren't my thing right now. It will be interesting to see what the end result is Love your star quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like have too many new projects going either but this one fit the bill.

      Delete
  2. Though I have done some hand piecing, I don't know about doing a big quilt that way. Last year, I hand pieced a doll size quilt after doing applique on small blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your stitching on the 16 block looks very nice and even. I had thought about joining in but have since decided I have enough going on. I have to keep on top of my hand quilting. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a rarity for me to join in but i had the fabric and its a small project. I also am a self taught, so i am hoping to get a few tips.

      Delete
  4. wonderful projects. the only hand piecing i have mastered is EPP. The trip around the world is a masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was amazed that all those ugly fabrics would work together. A bit like God's flower gardens they are always spectacular

      Delete
  5. Hey - that trip quilt was what got me started too - seeing your's I had to give it a try! Your block came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt tops are beautiful! I am looking forward to seeing the progress of your new quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great block - thanks for joining the QAL link-up!

    ReplyDelete