Monday, July 14, 2014

Quilting frame

I had several followers asking about the quilt hoop I use and how my husband was able to add some magnets to my old frame so that it would work on my new stand.  I received this Barnett quilt stand and hoop for Christmas. I opted for the 18 inch as I already had a 14 in hoop that I currently used.
 
When I first learned to quilt, I learned on a frame but hated that I had to quilt in my sewing room away from the family. So, I wanted to go to something more portable.  I opted for a fourteen inch hoop with a base.  I still have not figured out how people quilt in a hoop without a base, but that is Ok cause this is what works for me.
 

My Barnett hoop stand has a lazy susan that is made out of metal attached to the top of it.


The base of the hoop has magnets on the bottom of it.

y
So my husband found these magnets at Harbor Freight and attached them to the bottom of my fourteen inch base.
 
I use these clips that I bought ages ago when I thought I was going to learn to machine quilt.  I am glad that I have finally found a use for them.  They keep the quilt from laying on my lap.  That and in conjunction with a fan running I have been able to quilt with the warmer weather of the summer. 

19 comments:

  1. I am not familiar with this hoop and stand. I found the website and am going to watch the video later. Looks very interesting. I use a hoops with a base for hand quilting but not on a stand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frame is made by a gentleman and his workmanship is superb! His customer service is outstanding. All of the pieces are well sanded and smooth no chance for splinters. The stand really helps when it comes to turning the quilt as it supports the weight of the quilt.

      Delete
  2. Very interesting set up. How handy your husband is to figure that out. Lightweight quilting for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great solution--a friend is looking for a quilting hoop, so I'll pass the idea along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice that I can still use the hoop without the stand and the magnets are very sturdy!

      Delete
  4. interesting! you're the only person I know that uses this kind of hoop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Barnett makes a quality product. I love that I can support another maker.

      Delete
  5. Carla,
    Thank you so much for sharing this.
    I'm with you, how do you hold your quilt frame and handquilt at the same time.
    I love your quilt frame with stand but have never heard of this brand, so i will be looking it up.
    Love handquilting but my frame is an old one that you put the whole quilt in.
    Thanks again for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear someone else feels the same way that I do. I also do needleturn applique and can't figure out how using glue or starch is easier. I guess it is all about how we learned. I do love the portability of my stand.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing. I really need to get used to quilting in a hoop and have just had it resting one either arm of the recliner while I stitch when I do use a hoop. I've tried the pvc frame for smaller quilting. I'll look into this more as another option.... I need to find something that works for me since I have things piling up that I want to quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you find a solution, I remembering going thru the same feelings when I started hand quilting.

      Delete
  7. I quilt year 'round and need to order me some of those clips to help keep so much of the quilt off me (especially since the quilt I'm going to start today is 99x99!!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great set up! The feathers and crosshatch are perfect. That's my favorite style of quilting also, but as the years have gone on, I've purchased a cheap quilting machine to get them done quicker since I do patterns and need to finish as many as possible. I do miss hand quilting now and then as it's the handwork that I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes hand quilting is a slow process! I am in the middle of a craftsy class on walking foot quilting. I think I might be able to do it. I was so impressed when I went to Paducah and saw the wonderful machine quilting done on many quilts. Just amazing!

      Delete
  9. Oh! What type of batting are you using? It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbs Poly/down! The new polys are as wonderful as wool in my opinion!

      Delete