Sunday, July 6, 2014

Block #21 Progress

I continued to work on block # 21 this week.  Like I said in a previous post this block is a bit more delicate than the other blocks I have done.  So I had to figure out a way to make some 1/8 inch stems.  I didn't want to have to purchase yet another quilting tool and did some research.  Then I remembered a Pat Sloan podcast where a quilter on her show said she used cable ties as bias bars.  I wish I could remember her name, but I do remember she was from Australia.  So I headed out to my husband's work bench and yes there they were, thin black cable ties.  The reason they work is that they do not melt when you put them under your iron.


So I cut some bias strips 3/4 inch wide and folded them in half right sides facing out.
This photo shows the original strip, the strip after it is folded and stitched The final one is after the seam has been trimmed down.

I then stitched straight down them leaving enough on the folded side for the cable tie to fit.  I then trim the seam down as thin as I can.  The cable tie is then inserted and the seam is turned so that is on one side of the cable tie.

The bias strip threaded on the cable tie.

Pressing the stem after turning the seam to the backside.

 A light misting of starch and good press and whala 1/8 inch wide stems.  A few drops of glue and  press them in place and they are ready to stitch down.




It really made them quite easy to do and I was able to move on. Today I will working on the flowers. I am using the back basting method because some of the pieces are very oddly shaped and quite small.  I love this method cause it is a easy way to get pieces placed exactly where you want them.  Once the flowers are complete this block will need some embroidered stems and accents. I always loved doing simple embroidery as a child and am looking forward to those slow stitches.

20 comments:

  1. The stems are so delicate. I love how you improvised and figured out how to make them for things you had on hand! Visiting from Slow Sunday Stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I always think about woman long ago and if they were able to make such beautiful quilts without all the notions we have today, why not go for it! I prefer to spend my cash on fabric and thread.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea for a narrow bias stem! Love the stem and those flowers ... cannot wait to see the whole block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flowers on the Baltimore Garden blocks are layered so they take a while to do. But, I really enjoy doing them even though each one takes two to three weeks for me to complete. Only four more to do after this one...................but then there are the borders.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Much easier to do them this way than to back baste or use freezer paper on top as a guide.

      Delete
  4. Your applique is breath taking.. and thanks for the tip! We have those ties... I may try that sometime :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this great tip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome! Who would have thought. I am so glad I had remembered hearing about this on Pat's podcast.

      Delete
  6. Who would have thought? What a great idea. I like improv.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It is nice to be able to use what we have. Some of my best quilts are those that are put together from my stash and not those that were planned purchases.

      Delete
  7. Your sister is so right! Sometimes I can't even remember what I was suppose to remember! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have read that there are several things in a hardware store that can be used as quilting tools. This is a new one and how clever.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to use the cable ties! I will be watching for a picture of the completed block.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the block looks great, so looking forward to seeing more! Keep going on this quilt you will be done in no time
    its one thats on my list of someday quilts
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your thin bias strips look great. I agree with one of your replies that the quilters of old didn't have any of the gadgets we currently use and still made beautiful, delicate applique. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea...your strips look just perfect!
    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete