Sunday, November 3, 2019

Susan Mc Cord


I received so many wonderful comments last week on my trailing vines quilt.  I felt I needed to do a tribute to the original maker of the quilt Susan Mc Cord, afterall it was her vision!



She was an Indiana farm wife who had 7 children and created breath taking quilts out of bits of fabric.  I was watching tv and stitching Saturday morning and to my amazement CBS was doing a show on innovators.  People like Henty Ford and Thomas Edison and yes a quilter Susan Mc Cord.  They did mention in the piece that these quilts were made for warmth.  I really don't think this was her reason for making them. Afterall, you could patch big squares of fabric together to make a warm blanket.  I really feel she had a need to create something. She apparently had great skills and visions and needed to see them come to life.  Her attention to detail is amazing!


So fun to see how she quilted her Trailing Vines!







Oh the bits of fabric in this one!

She definitely had needle skillls

More leaves!





 Her work is amazing and to think she made these quilts back in the late 1800s before all the modern tools we use today to make quilts.   I love how organic her work is, she truely must have been inspired by nature. She used her now famous pieced leaves a lot and after making this quilt I can understand why. So this morning I laid out my version out to see the progress. I finish quilting to one edge and then started the cable the other direction and I have completed that panel.  This week I plan on completing the leaf panel and moving on to start the  next set of two panels.



29 comments:

  1. The fact that Susan's quilts have have survived to today prove that these quilts weren't made for warmth! I love your vine quilt, so beautiful! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, she definitely was a maker and needed an outlet to create!

      Delete
  2. I thought I commented earlier! Did you have a pattern for this quilt or did you come up with your own design? At least tell me how wide your white applique rows are. I'm not saying I'm going to start one but I sure am tempted! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used Janet Treen's pattern. It makes a very large quilt and I wanted wider sashing to make it more of a strippy quilt, so there made fewer leaf panels. It can be found here: http://quiltsalott.blogspot.com/p/trailing-vines.html

      Delete
  3. What a lovely tribute and it is one of my all time favorite quilts!
    great post. I miss Janet's blog - one of many that has gone dark. thanks for post these great quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see Janet on facebook, she went thru a bread baking,sock knitting and recently making felt ornaments phase. Shes really good at it all. I grew up in NE Illinois and understand the need for something pretty and colorful in the prairie

      Delete
  4. Your quilting is beautiful on this quilt. Love reading about the original maker.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to learn some history of a quilter who was a creative genius!
    Love the cable design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great description of Mrs. McCord unbelievably talented and probably helped her keep sane.

      Delete
  6. That was so interesting to read about the original quilter who inspired you. Your version is beautiful as well- so much pretty color and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love all the color and I tried to use a different color but that pink seemed to work the best

      Delete
  7. I love seeing the progress on your trailing vines. Your quilting is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for sharing about Susan McCord! Interesting they included a quilter as an innovator... def more than just warmth but breathtaking beauty too... thanks for the photos of her work! I wanna quilt like HER one day :)
    Your stitching on your masterpiece is just lovely Carla... will this go in a show by chance??? Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  9. How amazing that that was on TV!! That's awesome! I love how you shared pictures from the program. She was one inspiring quilter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I visited the museum for our eighth grade class trip back in 69, dont remember the quilts but I would love to go back. I have heard they are not on display so I guess I need to do more research

      Delete
  10. Such a coincidence that Susan McCord was mentioned while you were stitching. I appreciate you sharing about her quilting. I agree that she created quilts for more than warmth. Not only did she not have the tools that we have today, chances are she had poor lighting. She was an artist who was ahead of her time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love her quilts too & hope to see them at the museum someday. Your quilting looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it is a beautiful quilt for sure - as are all of her quilts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! What an amazing, talented creator she was ... without all the tools, gadgets and technology that we enjoy! Your own Trailing Vine quilt is a masterful and lovely tribute to her! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yeah what a talent in a time when quilting would have not been as easy for sure.

      Delete
  14. What a wonderful story, Susan really was an inspiration! Your quilt is amazing!

    ReplyDelete