Sunday, July 7, 2019

Soccer and Stitching!

It's been a while since I have written a blog post.  I sure am not getting too much done this summer in the sewing room.  I haven't purchased any fabric yet for the sashing of my hst quilt.  Maybe that will happen later this month, we will see.  One of the projects I wanted to complete this summer was replacing a binding on an old quilt my mother in law owns.  She said she thinks it was made by husband's great grandmother but she isn't sure. The top was given to her when she married into the family and she not being a quilter, had it machine quilted.  It looks to me as if it was made in the 1930's but I am no expert.  She said they used it alot when they first got married so the binding was quite worn and it has a few stains.  Hopefully a new binding will let her enjoy it again!



New binding ready to be sewn on!
The walking foot really makes it easy to sew the binding on by machine!


The old binding was a single fold and I will replace it with a double fold as I prefer working with double fold binding.  I was able to stitch the binding on Saturday and spent the afternoon getting two sides of the binding stitched down.  So today, I plan to get the other two sides finished.    Hopefully, I will get some stitches in while I watch the final game of the Women's FIFA World Cup.  The USA plays the Netherlands a tough opponent.

14 comments:

  1. looks like it will save a great quilt with the new binding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it has a couple of stains that wouldn't come out but the repairs allowed me to wash it and get the smell out of it.

      Delete
  2. Oh how wonderful to restore a family heirloom quilt! Enjoy your hand stitching... and soccer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go USA! It has been so entertaining watching them in this World Cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it has been fun. My son and his family were able to attend the game against England and said they were so glad they went

      Delete
  4. I also have been absent from blogging. I missed it. From what I can see in the quilt photo, it does appear to be from the 1930s era. How lucky you are to have a family heirloom that was used and loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah wish there were more quilts in my family history but my mother was a knitter. I started to quilt as an affordable way to own some tradtional quilts so it all worked out

      Delete
  5. The quilt is gorgeous! I have a good friend that is obsessed with the Women's FICA World Cup. Her daughter is a soccer player. Have a relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you were more successful stitching during the game than me! I got about 4 threads worth added to my binding... too exciting to stitch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got most of it done before the game. The first half was intense with no goals.

      Delete
  7. I was stitching while watching the World Cup too. My daughter used to play against Crystal Dunn on local Long Island teams when she was younger. Always a fast and tough opponent. That quilt is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was an exciting game. I was very nervous in the first half since we hadn't scored! So proud of those gals, they have worked very hard!

      Delete