Friday, July 19, 2019

Cheddarback Quilt

When Gay Boomer over at Sentimental Stitches  takes an antique or vintage quilt and offers a BOM it always peaks my interest.  Cheddarback Quilt is her currect BOM.   This one really tugged at my heart strings enough that I decided to give it a go.


The BOM started about five months ago.  I just started making blocks a few weeks ago.  It's been a busy summer and making a block here and there when I have a few minutes really appealed to me.  I also decided it would be a great way to use up some of my stash.  Heaven knows, I really don't need another quilt at my house, but one more couldn't hurt.



The photo above is month one's set of blocks. So far each month she releases a 12 inch block and four 5 inch blocks.  I think the combination of the two sizes really makes this an interesting sampler quilt.  It's rare that a sampler quilt with sashings will catch my eye, but this one did.



I have also completed month two's blocks!  I know some quilters in the facebook group are trying to use similar fabrics, but I am not taking it to that extreme.  I am excited about using some of my stash and some plaids that I have collected and I ordered a shirting for the sashing and a red print for the cornerstones.

There are alot of blocks in this quilt that I have  never made and some are quite challenging for me.  I am using both my machine and will turn to hand piecing when necessary.  As usual I don't have a deadline and once cooler weather arrives it may get put a side so I can hand quilt.  I love that I no longer feel the need to keep up with a BOM or make every quilt I love.  It's just fun to fit some sewing into my life!

4 comments:

  1. I can see that there are some challenging blocks and you have certainly done well with piecing them. I don't have time for this quilt project but am saving the patterns regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen! The cutting directions are not condusive to making the right size block. I got cutting directions from Blockbase for one twelve in block so that it would come out the right size. Gay's directions she admitted were for a 11 1/2 inch block and she suggested a scant quarter in seam. Another pinwheel block came out 6 1/2 inches but it was easy to cut down to size. I was sorry I didn't download Beyond the Cherry Tree years ago, so I decided this time to do this one!

      Delete
  2. I really like the cheddarback quilt. I'm downloading the patterns, not sure when I'll get to it. Your blocks look lovely! Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it has a real farmhouse look which I love! I struggle with how to quilt sashings and for the most part I have avoided making quilts with sashings. I think I will just do 45 degree lines thru the quilt or maybe Amish waves. Something simple and vintage to go with the look of the quilt.

      Delete