Sunday, July 28, 2019

Hand piecing prep!

We are headed to the NW in a few weeks and I was looking ahead to some of the 5 inch blocks in Month 4 of the Cheddarback quilt.  There are three of the four that I think I want to hand piece.  Something that I could do in the car, as we are driving, and help make the time pass.  I don't want to be too distracted as I do love sight seeing.

So today,I need to get out some baggies and prep the three blocks so they will be ready to pack.  I started by picking my fabrics for the three blocks.  So after another cup of coffee, I will start cutting out the templates to cut the pieces.  I like to hand piece blocks that have templates that I can easily cut with a ruler and a rotary cutter.  The next step will be marking the seams so that when I get ready to stitch all I have to do is pin the pieces together and stitch!




Kathy over at Kathy's Quilts reminds us how good hand stitching is for us!  I agree, so I am really excited about hand piecing these three blocks while on the road.  Hopefully, when I get home at the end of August I will have 4 months of block completed.  August will bring us the 6th series of block so maybe I can get caught up before the BOM comes to an end.

10 comments:

  1. Holidays and hand piecing = lots of dopamine.... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty fabric choices. Enjoy the hand stitching while traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I am having pulling fabrics for each of these blocks. Very scrappy my favorite!

      Delete
  3. I can't stitch in the car but I do crochet. I used to stitch but vision changes have made it so I no longer do - I do like to take plenty along though or when we are in the camper and stopped

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I don't like to spend a lot of time stitching but it is nice to turn to when I get a bit bored with the scenery. I have never tried to crochet in the car.

      Delete
  4. Oh , so relaxing and fun! Enjoy your hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! Yes and it doesn't take much just your needle thread some snips and some pieces of fabric

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to take some simple hand piecing on vacation trips though I didn't stitch in the car. I always felt like I had to help watch the other cars on the road or watch for road signs for turns, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. enjoy the slow process! lovely fabrics

    ReplyDelete