Sunday, July 21, 2019

Accuracy, Pressing, Hand piecing!

As I have said more than once on my blog. I learned to piece so I would have something to hand quilt.  However over the years, I have tried to get better at my piecing and for the most part I am pleased with the results.  I also remind myself once the quilt is washed all those not so perfect points will never be noticed.   Perfection was never my goal,  but having a quilt that lays flat, and that I can sew together with a smile on my face makes me a happy quilter.

Looking back, most of my problems were due to pressing!  It's so easy to get a block out of whack when you press it. I try to pay much more attention to bias and how I press.  I am also on the starch your fabric first band wagon.  Recently, I watched an episode of Fons and Porter on PBS, and they were using a wetting pen to run over the seams before pressing.  We all know that when fabric get wet is relaxes and it made sense in my mind that wetting that seam could be helpful.  Well being a inpatient quilter I just got an old medicine bottle and a little paint by number paint brush and tried it out.  I was really impressed with the results.  I know some use steam but I don't have much luck with putting water in my irons,  so I use a spray bottle and when I spray the whole block I easily distorted my block.   I am so happy to have found a compromise that really helps get that seam to relax without stretching it.

The following block is a 5 inch finished block from the Cheddarback quilt I talked about in my last post. Sometimes an old fashion block is easier to hand piece in order to get accuracy.  Gay, offered two ways to make the block one by machine and then hand piecing.  The hand pieced block was the identical block from the quilt so I went for it.  It came out quite well.  My first attempt was about a quarter inch too small so I was careful to draw my stitching lines with a bit narrower seam allowance the second time around.



It is also possible to machine stitch the hand pieced block by stopping the stitching at the seam lines as if you were hand piecing it. But, why not enjoy making a block with just your needle and thread? Quilting has been such a challenging hobby for me.  There is always room for improvement and the added plus of the simple enjoyment of stitching.  So mixing up how we construct a block can get you the results you want and also allows you to relax and make a complete block with slow stiches!

17 comments:

  1. Your block is very pretty. I often get frustrated with blocks that are the wrong size, don't lay flat or the points don't line up. I have abandoned my last quilt for just that reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it sure does make it frustrating. But I am telling myself this is a reproduction of an antique quilt so a few cut off points may help me achieve that look. LOL

      Delete
  2. quite often when I hand piece my blocks end up a tiny bit too small too. I have not heard of the wetting pen - I will do a search

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem and usually have to stitch just above my marked line. It is easier to get consistency if I put a guide on my machine and stitch all the blocks there. However, some of these blocks are easier to hand piece.

      Delete
  3. Lovely block you hand pieced! I am looking forward to seeing the future of this block too :) Thanks for blogging about accuracy too... I find that important more than some folks want to admit! lol I don't hand piece as I no longer have the dexterity to do it long term to finish a piece.. but I sure love looking at others work... thanks for showing the back side too! :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it's a challenge for me as I do want a half way decent looking quilt and oh my sewing those blocks together is so much easier when each block is the right size.

      Delete
  4. I had been itching to do some hand stitching lately and I made a couple of blocks yesterday. Yes, it took way longer, but my blocks were nicer. I'll probably get back to the machine next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty basket block. I find handwork so relaxing and much more enjoyable than machine piecing which I also do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very pretty block. I think this would look pretty in a scrappy colorful quilt of basket blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been learning to hand piece this year and really enjoy it! I have never heard of just wetting the seam before you press - I'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, it's a handy skill to have when you run into a block that is more difficult to stitch on the machine. I have used the hand piecing rules and just stitch dot to dot by machine when necessary.

      Delete
  8. I learned hand piecing many years ago but I find it so slow. I know some people get very fast at it but I am impatient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I bet you could applique a block pretty quickly! LOL I am thinking about appliqueing the center square for a bow tie block, is that cheating?

      Delete
  9. This is the sort of block that I will always be more accurate doing hand stitching work on! I don't think that I have ever been very good at it though yours look wonderful.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think we are too hard on ourselves sometimes. But, it's nice to have different skills to accomplish the goal the way it works for us.

    ReplyDelete