Sunday, August 17, 2014

Chevron Progress

Well,  I think I have gotten off to a good start. Today I was able to get all 72  seven inch squares stitched.  Now that they are all stitched with a  1/4 inch seam on all four sides, I need to cut them in half from one corner to the other and then again in the other direction.  This will give me four half square triangles that will be stitched together to make a 8 inch finished block.


 
After I get them cut apart, I am pressing the seam flat so that the top will be nice and flat.  This helps when it comes to quilting as the machine will be able to move over the seams more easily.  Last night I got 88 half square triangles pressed now they need to be squared up and I need to cut off the dog ears.



Since these half square triangles have bias edges it would be easy to stretch them out of shape. So they need to pressed carefully.  Starching the fabric before cutting helps to keep everything from stretching. Next I will sewing the blocks into larger squares that will be combined to make up the top. I think this will also help with stretching as it is easier to support a square than a long thin row.

It was a good feeling to get off to a good start! 

10 comments:

  1. Great progress you are making. Love the idea of making a square and then stitching around the edge and cutting from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time I have tried this Deb! I am working really hard at keeping things square as this quilt is so graphic. So far so good! I have all of them sliced and am now trimming dog ears. 130 out of 288 trimmed. So tired right now, need to take a break before my hands fall off!

      Delete
  2. Your quilt is coming along. I can't wait to see it all put together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I feel I will be able to relax if I can get this quilt assembled by Wednesday. I am machine quilting it so that should not take too long as it is all straight stitching.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! It is wearing me out I usually don't work this fast on a quilt, at least not in years, but I would love to have it ready for her birthday!

      Delete
    2. Q buena idea la de almidonar la tela, ya quiero ver como va este bello protecto..
      Abrazos

      Delete
    3. Thank you Lilian, your work is just gorgeous. I struggle with my piecing not as accurate as I would like but I keep trying to do better.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Donna! It is very different from my usual work, but I do like many of the modern quilts done in solids. Not sure I am ready for the big prints some use but the solids are fun! I am thinking the same thing I want one for me! I think the black and white top with a teal back and black and white polka dot binding is going to be really nice, anyway I hope so. Thanks for the info on thread color I feel better about trying the soft teal now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog. I do at this time plan on making all 100. I may take them after and divide them up into more than one quilt however. Then again If I find an arrangement with all 100 I like I will make one big quilt. I really have no idea right now lol.

    ReplyDelete