Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Do birds have more than one life?

Today, as I was getting the mower out a car hit a little bird and the young man stopped his car and picked up the bird and it flew away. I kind of caught all of this action through the garage window as I was pulling the mower out of the garage. When I finally reached the driveway, I see Max standing over the bird in our front lawn. So I told him no and he backed away, not that he wanted to but he does obey his commands. I made a couple of rounds with the mower and the bird just sat there and Max kept circling it. So, I decided to go in and grab my camera to see if I could snap a picture of Max drooling over this little bird. As I approached, it looked as if the bird was not injured, so I wondered if maybe it had broken a wing or something, why wouldn't it fly away? So I bent over to get a closer look. I guess that was a bad move as Max decided he needed to go in for the kill. Not sure if he thought he was protecting me, or he looked at it as his last chance at the bird. As I was yelling no and Max was trying to grab the bird, the bird took off in flight. I was so glad to see it hover for a few seconds before it took off. Thankfully, it must have only been stunned by it's accident with the car. I was just thankful I didn't see dog teeth pierce bird feathers. I also wonder if any of his bird friends are believing the story that he is telling at dinner tonight. Sure you were hit by a car, and a schnauzer sat and looked at you for ten minutes and then you flew off.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently Carla...your bird decided it was not done with this life. What a beautiful story. Thanx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one lucky bird. Max is quite the predator. You sure he isn't part wolf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched a documentary on Yellowstone with Grandma and Grandpa and Max did tell us the wolves on the show were his great great great great grandparents. LOL

    ReplyDelete