Sunday, June 7, 2020

June SAL and Santa # 8

Well, I must start out by saying I had such a fun week finishing the stitching on Santa # 7, but he is hiding until next Sunday.   He's  a very patriotic Santa so he wanted to wait till we get closer to flag day!  I will start stitching the June motifs for the Linen and Threads SAL.  This month  includes the year so a little different, but it's always nice to add the date to a piece when we stitch it! Excuse my bad photo, but all the blinds are drawn to help keep out the heat we are having.  I guess summer is here to stay now.  Thankfully, they opened our community pool today.  We like to go mid morning before it gets extremely hot and put in a few laps.




I also hope to start Santa # 8.  He was first introduced in 1985.  He reminds me of the St Nicholas that my mom would tell me about back when she was a little girl in Austria.  She would tells us he wasn't alway nice and if you were naughty he seemed to know about it.  A piece of coal instead of a piece of candy, oh my!  He looks like he has enjoyed a lot of German wurst too, as he is quite plump! 


As I mentioned earlier, the heat is on in Texas. So I am including a few pics from my perren.l garden and a pic of one of the lemons on my Meyer Lemon Tree.  I am very pleased with the lemon tree's progress.  It wasn't in the best shape when we purchased it, it was the last tree in the greenhouse, so I am so glad it is getting new leaves  and has about a dozen lemons on it.




 

16 comments:

  1. I like your stitch along progress. That is quite a robust Santa. Enjoy stitching him. Your coneflowers are so pretty as are the others. Good luck with the lemon tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that robust Santa is going to take awhile but it will be a joy to stitch him.

      Delete
  2. so your lemon tree is getting lemons! I enjoyed our time in the south west the last couple years in the early fall when I was able to pick some lemon and limes off the trees at the park we were at. Love the flowers and the stitching -- it is too hot here thank goodness this is the last day in the 90's for the week I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is a Meyer Lemon so it will live in the garage in the winter as we do get frosts here. But it was developed to live in a pot even as an indoor plant if you have a really bright window or put a grow light on it. People in Texas winter over a lot of their plants in the garage. We have enough sunny days in winter where we can open the door and get them some light.

      Delete
  3. That Santa pattern is great. I need to find some more Prairie Schooler Santas to work on. Great pictures of your garden. We used to live in Houston - summers can be brutal in Texas! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does get hot but we don't have the humidity that Houston has, thankfully! The Santas are a whole lot of fun

      Delete
  4. Love those Santas, and seeing your beautiful flowers! I think I have one of those Prairie Schooler Santas myself somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the simplicity of the Prairie School charts. Also, the reds and greens are used in each Santa. I am glad I decided to tea/coffee stain the aida and that I didn't dye it all in one batch so they differ.

      Delete
  5. All your different Santas are so fun and different from each other! Looking forward to seeing this one stitched up. Pretty flowers - hope you can stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the assortment of Santa's really makes this journey a whole lot of fun

      Delete
  6. Oh that Santa looks so fun.... as long as you behave and don't get the coal. Glad you are able to swim a bit before it gets too hot. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he looks like he could be a very sweet Santa but a bit scary if he is unhappy with you. Yes we are grateful our pool is open and we can get some exercise when it's so hot

      Delete
  7. Carla... I love your SAL progress... I can't wait to see your patriotic santa next week.. and the next one planned looks interesting too... look forward to seeing your colors :) Your flowers are awesome and love the lemon... mmmm Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying these smaller projects. Just enough to enjoy but no feeling overwhelmed. Lately the though of starting a large quilt seems so overwhelming for me.

      Delete
  8. I love the Santa. He is so lovely! Your SAL is looking great too

    ReplyDelete