Sunday, February 16, 2020

Binding, Bingeing and Finishes!

Well another Sunday has rolled around.  I spent quite a few hours in the sewing room this week.  I finished my Cheddarback quilt blocks for February,  they can be seen here.  I also cut and sewed the binding to My Trailing Vines quilt.  Yes, that is the official name, since I was inspired by Susan Mc Cords Trailing Vines but I did it my way as the song goes.  I combined the idea of an English Strippy Quilt and Trailing Vines by widening the sashing and quilting cables in those strips.  My original intention was to do a knife edge finish that is often done on Strip Quilts, however, as usual I was a bit over zealous in my hand quilting and quilted all the way to the edge of the quilt.  I remembered too late, to leave about an inch or two unquilted to turn under.  Well, there was no way I was going to undo those hand quilted stitches, so I came up with a solution.  I decided to match the binding to the  strips on the quilt so that it would have the illusion of a knife edge.




It really wasn't hard to do, I just had to mark a quarter inch seam each time there was a fabric change and then had to sew on the other fabric and stitch!  However, I felt like it was going to take forever!  I had to walk away after doing a few questioning why I torment myself this way.  But I came back to it later, always remembering you get out what you put into a project.  Yes, it's a small detail, but it's those small details that make it or break it for me.  So what do you think was it worth it?  My answer is always yes, it makes it, and I guess that is all that matters.  So today, I will binge on the new Season of Outlander and stitch my binding down, now it doesn't get better than that!

I finished Santa # 2 this week, but haven't started on #3.  I want to thank all of you that gave me the obvious solution of outlining the ribbon on the wreath.  Well, it was obvious to all of you, not to me!   So I am grateful for your comments.


I also completed the January stitches on the Threads and Linens 2020 Crosstitch Mystery.  On to February stitches  where I have just about completed the flower in a vase.



 I hope you find joy in some hand work and add  a bit of detail that makes that next project special for you too. I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilt's to see what others are hand stitching and the joy it brings them!

24 comments:

  1. I really love that finished quilt. Santa #2 is so pretty. I really like your progress on the SAL. So many people are working on it and I am enjoying seeing how it looks with different flosses. I am printing the pages to use at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm so happy to finally have a finish. I love seeing all the different threads people are using with the SAL

      Delete
  2. I love love love how you did your binding on your Trailing Vines quilt... that makes it quite remarkable and even more unique than your original planned binding I think!
    Your Santa you finished looks GREAT Carla!
    I am glad you are getting caught up on all your sal projects too <3
    Have a great Sunday binging Outlander and binding. I watch youtube, or listen to audio books, or music :D
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - the binding was worth it. Santa is looking great as is the mystery project. Enjoy your hand stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the binding looks really well - it was worth the effort. I love that quilt. I binged on Outlander and now I am caught up I believe it was season 4 that I watched I think that was the last available to watch.
    Your Santa looks good too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the whole season would be released on Starz, not. Not sure when season 5 will come to netflix

      Delete
  5. Your matched binding is lovely! I haven't tried doing that yet, but it makes such an interesting detail that it looks like it is worth it to me. Congratulations on finishing up the Trailing Vines quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it really wasn't hard, took a bit more time is all

      Delete
  6. Very nice binding! Lots of nice hand stitching projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Santa! I've been working on the flower from the February stitch a long today. It's so great participating in this project with several other slow Sunday stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the SAL just finished Februarys stitches last night Time for another Santa

      Delete
  8. What a magnificent finish! I love all those tiny pieced leaves...bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes those leaves are wonderful and really make the quilt. She must have had a lots of bits of fabric and was very creative on how to use them

      Delete
  9. Your trailing vines quilt is spectacular, Carla! Every stitch you put into it was worth it. It will be a family heirloom, treasured for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm always glad when I put the extra work into a binding and your extra work looks excellent! Your quilt is so beautiful! I'm not a cross stitcher so to me your work looks so impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I agree it's the little details that can make a quilt great.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous work on the Trailing Vines quilt. Glad you found a solution for your binding to work properly.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, so glad to have a finish and that I put the effort into this one.

      Delete
  12. How pretty your Trailing Vines quilt is. The colours are pretty and your quilting amazing. Perfect binding, too. Every stitch and love you have put into this quilt shows. Cute Santa. Wow....so now you are up to Santa No.2....fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Kim So happy to have my trailing vines completed now for some nice weather so I can get some final pics. I am really enjoying these Santas

    ReplyDelete