Sunday, October 6, 2019

Goals accomplished!

It always feels so good when I come accomplish my quilting goals or at least see a good effort made.  Sometimes that is hard to do with the everyday things that life presents us. Now that Tom has retired and he helps empty the dishwasher, he realizes that my request for some pull out drawers on my island might really be a great idea.  So this week he installed these beauties. 




Oh they make life so much easier!  But, I ended up rearranging the kitchen cupboards a bit so it was more time consuming than I first thought.  But, I have found that dedicating a little time each day to my craft really makes things progress quite nicely.  I was able to get my trailing vines quilt basted and now it is in the hoop.  No stitches have been made yet, but I am sure they will start soon.  We have had a very toasty September here in North Texas.  Our temps have hovered right around 95 the whole month.  However, come Monday, the expected high will be 75.  I know that crisp morning air will make me want to sit down and start the hand quilting.


I also was able to start one of October's two twelve inch blocks for Cheddarback Quilt.  It's an appliqued Carolina Lily that I decided to do in blue and green.  I hope to finish the stitching of the appliqued pieces this afternoon while watching the Cowboys and Packers battle it out.   Who knows some stitching might even happen on my trailing vines!





16 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh - my husband recently installed those slide-outs in several of my kitchen cabinets. It has made such a huge difference for both of us - I love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they do, I wondered why we just didn't do it when we moved here three years ago. They make life so much better in the kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Love those pull-outs, and the fact that your hubby is helping with domestic tasks. Mine retired recently and now does all the vacuuming, which nets me significantly more sewing time... in theory, anyway!
    Your leafy vines blow my mind. Simply lovely. I look forward to see how you quilt this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great to have great husbands. Too bad it takes more time to get done what I used to do in shorter periods of time. LOL I am thrilled with trailing vines and the things I did to make it my own.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to see the quilt on trailing vines! The lily looks very nice. I'm downloading the cheddar back patterns. That quilt might get started this winter! I'm always behind on sew alongs. Oh well, as long as I'm enjoying what I'm working on is the important thing. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am usually not one to join in QAL's, but this quilt really called my name. I generally stay away from sampler type quilts so I am not sure why it spoke to me. So glad I decided to jump in. I started quilting trailing vines, I see this one is going to take some time, but that just means more enjoyable stitching to do!

      Delete
  4. I have a retired hubby who unloads the dishwasher, too, but we haven't thought about installing those racks yet - I will have to bring that up! You have some lovely stitching going on. Enjoy your afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are lucky to have willing husbands. It's only right that they help with household chores after all. Yes, I am so happy to have some hand quilting to do again.

      Delete
  5. Oh man do I need those slide-out shelves. I only have one lower cabinet that is big enough for them, but they would be a big help. I really like that block. We had a 90 degree day here on Long Island last week, but the next day it dropped to a high of 60 with 40s at night. Autumn is finally here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing how the weather can change overnight. I am so happy to be able to have the back door open and even be able to sit out in the screened porch. I just hope Fall last for a little while.

      Delete
  6. Love the lily. I look forward to seeing more on the trailing vines. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I went with blue which is a bit unconventional, but I think it will look great in the quilt. I have started hand quilting and this one is going to take awhile as I am quilting around all those leaves but it is giving me the results that I want.

      Delete
  7. Oh Carla... your vines are awesome as is your Carolina Lily applique... and the cabinet organization rocks too! Enjoy the cooler temps Monday and happy stitching this week!!!!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi, it was so nice to open the back door and get some fresh crisp air into the house. I am really enjoying Cheddarback as the variety of blocks are testing my piecing ability.

      Delete
  8. Love those drawers in the island! I have been wanting some for ages in mine. Looks like trailing vines are coming along well as are the cheddarbacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those drawers are wonderful! We got them on Amazon a bit pricey but oh so lovely and very easy to install! Yes the quilting has begun on Cheddarback. My new glasses come in tomorrow and I can tell I really need them so progress has been slow so far.

      Delete