Sunday, September 15, 2019

A Change of Pace!

Sometimes we just need a change of pace.  For the last year, I found myself wanting to do some embroidery. I had a packet of iron on transfers of pots of herbs that I have had a long time. So this week I picked up a couple of flour sack dish towels and proceeded to prepare to towels for stitching.  I was a bit worried that the old transfers may not have worked anymore but they really worked well.  It got me thinking of when I was quite young 6-7 and my mom would stamp dish cloths  and have my sister and I embroider them.  I remember struggling at first, but we were taught to always finish our project.  I guess it was a good lesson to learn as I do finish my projects.   It will be fun to have this project to pick up in the evenings and enjoy!

I started a bit of stitching on Saturday.  I feel a bit rusty but it's coming back to me.  I am using a running stitch just like I did as a child. I like the look of it more than the backstitch you often see used.  I also decided since the back of this will be seen, I would try and keep the back of it looking fairly decent.  I am using a waste knot instead of the dreaded knot left on the back, I think my mom would be proud of me! I am so thankful that she took time to teach me some simple embroidery stitches and how to knit and crochet.

I also  want  to start marking my trailing vines, today.  It has been hanging in the closet for quite some time.  I want to quilt a cable down the pink strips and either echo quilt or do a grid on the leaf strips.  So marking shouldn't take forever!  I made some templates up this week to hopefully make the process easier.



It is still pretty warm here in North Texas.  It's hard to believe that fall is just about here.  We did enjoy watching the Cowboys play their first game of the season last week.  Getting trailing vines marked and sandwiched should help i feel like fall too!  I think the weatherman said we may see some days with 80 degree temps by the end of next week.................................well you know how that goes.  I think I will just wait and see.

Here's an old quilt I saw at an antique store on Saturday!  It really caught my eye and the kind of quilt you don't see very often. Enjoy!







19 comments:

  1. The embroidery is pretty. I look forward to watching your progress quilting Trailing Vines. It is such a pretty quilt. I love that tumbling blocks quilt that you saw at the antiques store. I am always sad that someone didn't love it enough to keep a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I can't wait to get thru the marking! I guess times change but I don't think I could not hold on to an old family quilt like that. Everything about it was awesome.

      Delete
  2. I like your herb embroideries. It looks like the stitching is very smooth and even!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am really enjoying making each stitch and love the results so far!

      Delete
  3. I itch to do embroidery at times too. I'm still working on a redwork project, hoping to have it done before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to catch up and see what you're working on today!
    Can't wait to see your hand quilting when it gets started!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get started! It has been and always will be my favorite part of making a quilt.

      Delete
  5. I was never taught the waste knot as a child and have not done much embroidery over the years. I watched a couple You Tube videos about the technique and am understanding the concept. Your post has led me to learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like your training was a bit like mine. It's nice to have online videos now to help us improve. Mary Corbet's site is so packed full of information.

      Delete
  6. I like your herb embroidery. The trailing vines piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am looking forward to how the cables will look on the quilt!

      Delete
  7. I used to embroider very intricate stuff, but the old eyes can't do it any more. So now I quilt. I love what you're doing. And that quilt in the shop - I bet those blocks were appliqued onto the background. Makes me want to do something like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering if they were appliqued. I took the photo in hopes of maybe trying this one too! Tumbling blocks are so traditional, what's not to love. Maybe a baby quilt????????????????????????? Not enough time to do I want to do!

      Delete
  8. love that quilt...can't wait to see the quilting...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I can't wait to have the marking finshed. The necessary evil!

      Delete
  9. Embroidery is so much fun, enjoy the switch from applique. Hope the quilt marking goes smoothly, trailing vines is such a beautiful quilt! The tumbling blocks quilt is very elegant. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marking always seems like such a chore, but I if I just face the fact that it is needed and work on it for short spurts it will happen. I find marking as you go is more enjoyable but sometimes the whole quilt needs marking before we sandwich. Glad you enjoyed the tumbling blocks, it does have a softness and elegant feel.

      Delete
  10. What a fun stitchery! So neat to see how you plan to mark your vines quilt. Neat templates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some cereal box cardboard and rubber cement and a printer makes making templates a breeze. I use two thicknesses of cardboard to make them nice and sturdy. A great use for old rotary blades for anything with straight lines.

      Delete