Sunday, January 7, 2018

Red Triangles

A damp rainy day here in North Texas. I think I will try to spend most of the day sneaking in some enjoyable hand quilting stitches.  I started out quilting the white triangles in this quilt and decided to see where it takes me.  Friday I was very curious on what it would look like if I quilted the red triangles also.  I tried  a triangle with the the natural color thread I was using on the white triangles and found it distracted from the high contrast that I love in two color quilts.  I found some red thread in my stash to try and am pleased with how it looks. 


So today I think I will go back and just add red to the units that already have the white triangles quilted.  


I also am thinking about adding a star to the white alternate squares.  I played around and made a template to fit the space.  But, I think I want to finish all of the triangles before making a final decision on the alternate square.  

21 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the ocean waves quilts and your red and cream one is lovely. The stitching is making this spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red thread is definitely the right choice! I am looking forward to seeing more of this quilt as you work on it each week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever used different colored thread in one quilt! But, it sure did make a difference this time!

      Delete
  3. yes this will be great with the red triangles and the red thread - great choice. I am always so glad to see that there are still many of us that hand quilt - and make traditional quilts my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love antique traditional quilts. Never had the spare cash earlier in my life to purchase them, and so it's one of the reasons I taught myself to quilt. This one has been on my list for a long time. However, I find myself drawn to modern quilts also. A lot of similiarities in the two!

      Delete
  4. I like it with the red thread ! :) I also like the idea of adding the stars. If you decide against it, you have a traditional design and it'll be gorgeous. If you do it, you will add some pop or something different or original to you. Either way, you win :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stitching! I'd probably only get a couple of stitches per triangle side if I gave it a try. You are always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just love those little dimples there is just something about each stitch that is special!

      Delete
  6. The stitches so far look lovely. The nice part about hand quilting is that there is always plenty of time to ponder the next step.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true! I am trying to keep this simple. I have done my fair share of feathers etc!

      Delete
  7. Loving this work of yours! Thanks for sharing it :)
    I am glad you tried red in the red triangles and liked it.. will be interested in what you decide on that star for the alternate square :) Take good care!
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep reminding myself to keep it simple on this one. Time will tell

      Delete
  8. Lovely stitching and I like the red thread a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Red thread for the red triangles is a good choice. What color backing fabric did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The backing is white leftover from the front. I don't use white alot in quilts so I wanted to use it up on the backing. So far the red stitches on the back don't seem to be bother me.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful stitching - your quilt is going to be gorgeous! I think I need to make an Ocean Waves quilt....

    ReplyDelete