Friday, January 26, 2018

More String blocks

Well I made my goal of 50 blocks the first week of my challenge to use up the strings. This week I didn't quite make it but I did get 30 more made.  I had to remind myself this is not a race and I should just be pleased that I am making progress towards getting these strings sewn into blocks. So I have to say I am really pleased that I working on these.  I really love how something so ragged and ugly gets trimmed into a perfectly sized block.



I took some time to pin the blocks in sets of ten so when it comes time to decide how I want to set them I will know what I have.  So with the previously sewn blocks I am up to 280 blocks. 


My scrap box is beginning to look better. Still a lot of strings to sew and I definitely want to make as many blocks as I can before I decide how to set them and how large to make the quilt or quilts.

I was out for one of my daily walks this week and noticed the blue sky. There wasn't a cloud in the sky and the blue was gorgeous!  I just had to take a snapshot!


5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Deb. I've never lived where we have such clear days with such blues skies. They always seem to get my attention.

      Delete
  2. what size are your string blocks and do you use the strings as you take them out of your box or cutting them as you use them - I wonder as some of my strings are much wider than others - I think some in the box are 2.5 inches wide and some are 1/2 inch wide - I'm thinking I need to pull all the 2.5 inch strings out of the box and cut them into 2.5 inch squares or cut them more narrow to use with strings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cut the paper foundations to 5 1/2 inch to finish at five inches. My strings probably vary from 2.5 inches down to 3/4 inch. I usually use them as is some times I will use scissors to cut them in half. I have learned to give them a little press before using as some of them are pretty wrinkled, just makes them easier to sew. I chain the blocks thru my machine to save the time snipping thread and just pull and use anything that is long enough for the next position. If they are too long my scissors are nearby to snip off the rest

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a joy to see the string blocks trimmed to a neat shape. They are wild until that happens.

    ReplyDelete