Saturday, December 30, 2017

Ocean Waves in the hoop!

Well, Christmas is over and the cold weather is upon us.  During 2017 I really fell off the wagon when it came to blogging.  I started my blog to keep a record of my quilting journey.  So, today I am featuring the red and white ocean waves quilt that I pieced this year.  I machined pieced it like a hand piecer would piece this pattern. The reason being, I didn't want seams in the white squares.  I found that piecing this way really helped with my accuracy, a constant struggle for me.  Now, I am not saying all my seams are perfect but they are something that I can live with.  When I started quilting trying to achieve perfection often would  take the joy out of my craft, it was suppose to bring me joy!  So, I no longer beat myself up over seams that are not perfect.  I still try to do my best, but a finished quilt made with love is my goal these days. The following are some photos that I did capture in the process of piecing this quilt. It measures approximately 76X76. 







So yesterday, I pulled out this top and got it basted! I am excited about having a quilt in my hoop.  I love finding a few minutes here and there to sit and add a few stitches.  To begin, I am going to outline quilt the white triangles.


 After that, I am really not sure, I am open for suggestions if you have any.  I hope your staying warm and finding time for a few joyous stitches. I know I am looking forward to 2018 and getting my ocean waves quilt quilted!

25 comments:

  1. it is a beautiful top and I have missed you blogging since you moved - it seems that is when the blog slacked off! I love this quilt. I have thought so often of making an ocean waves and never have. I too find that if I strive for perfection I no longer enjoy the process of making the quilt so I too go with the flow and if there are mistakes and it is not perfect that is just fine with me - I make for me not shows - Happy New Year to you - we too are getting the extreme cold starting tonight and will be with us for awhile but at least the single digits is "only" for two nights they say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ocean Waves always tugged at my heart! You are so right about my moving really curtailed my blogging. Now with Tom retired I am hoping to find more time to blog, although I seem to be so much slower these days (ha-ha) not sure how I used to get so much done. Wow! single digets. Our coldest night will be Monday predicting 16 I hope they are right!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful quilt! So happy you will have a quilt under the needle to stitch as you pass by it. Hope Tom is recovering and you both are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! Yes Tom is doing very well. He still has the red/purple discoloration where his burns were but they say that takes up to a year to disappear. Just thankful the whole ordeal is overwith.

      Delete
  3. LOVE your quilt. Ocean Waves has always been a favorite since I'm a Florida gal.....like you, I prefer that there are no seams in the large white square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am so glad I finally convinced myself to make one. I love those traditional blocks and when you break it down step by step it's amazing what you can do.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! I love the red and white although find it terribly hard to work with just two colors myself. It's going to be gorgeous with hand stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I agree working with two colors is not as much fun when piecing as a scrappy quilt. But I do love the them and am so glad to have finally made one!

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful quilt! My only quilting suggestion is to quilt a design you love into the white squares. A Ocean Waves quilt is on my someday list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great suggestion. I have several books on tradtional quilt designs so I just need to do some browsing. I am sure something will catch my eye.

      Delete
  6. Your quilt top is beautiful! I don't need perfection either - I just do my best. I don't have any suggestions for quilting it other than to just enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy my hand quilting and plan to enjoy each stitch. I am glad I waited to make this one as years of experience has helped to make this a top and not just a ufo.

      Delete
  7. It's beautiful ! Happy New Year and enjoy your hand quilting times :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow that is a fabulous quilt!!! You may have inspired me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your red and white Ocean Waves looks spectacular! So many pieces! I’m looking forward to seeing your progress each week at Kathy’s blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the outline quilting. In the past I quilted feathers alot and I was ready for something simple.

      Delete
  10. Such a gorgeous quilt! I don't think that I've seen this pattern done up in red and white before - LOVE it! And so fun that you can now sit and enjoy quilting it - that should help keep you warm. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you usually see it in blue. Although many are in colder weather 24 for north Texas is cold for us. I am so glad to be under my quilt today getting ready for the new year to arrive

      Delete
  11. This is such a wonderful quilt! I look forward to seeing it quilted--it's going to be a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well in my opinion you can't go wrong with a traditional quilt! Thanks so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  12. What a beautiful quilt. I always love a red and white quilt. Enjoy your quilting. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The red and white quilt is fabulous. I don't piece as well as I used to but have just learned to live with it. Do the best I can and just move on.

    ReplyDelete