Sunday, November 5, 2017

Trailing Vines Progress

 In my last post, I talked about how the prep work seems to bog me down.  I thought about it a lot this week and it's really not so much the actual prepping.  Once I get the iron hot, it doesn't take long at all to prep a branch of leaves.  What really seems to bother me is that I run out of leaves sometimes in the evening when I do my stitching.  I find as I do when I hand quilt, that I don't like to be interrupted during the process. So when I hand quilt I thread about a dozen needles so I can keep going.  So I thought of a solution,  I made another file folder lined with wool batting so that I can prep two branches ahead of where I am stitching.  As soon as one branch is stitched, I can take some time to prep the next one, and I still can stitch since I have that second folder. It seems to keep me going at a better pace.


I was half finished with this panel when I pulled it out of the closet last week.  I have almost finished four branches since than.  I guess I should think about getting the next panel prepped before I loose my rhythm.  This UFO is really a fun project to stitch.  It's quite amazing what Susan McCord did with her bits and pieces.  It seems a bit overboard to save bits and pieces and even sew those bits and pieces together to make a single leaf.  But, there is something very comforting, very organic about the process. When you lay out your stitching at the end of the day the results just make you smile.

My efforts are paying off, two more branches and this panel will be complete!

11 comments:

  1. The pieced leaves are spectacular! Such a lot of work, but they are well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those really pretty leaves. Wow that is a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of progress since the last post and oh, so beautiful! I like that lined file folder idea !

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your file folder idea--great way to keep things in place and going. This is a lovely project--hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea. There must be a million leaves to be made to do that design.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found it to be the most relaxing applique project - no tricky corners or tight curves. Your panel looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am glad you found a rhythm and a process that works for you because this project is going to fantastic when you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the 'frugalness' behind those leaves as well as the fact that they look so gorgeous - so much extra dimension! You are making great progress!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you have a good plan! I just love how this quilt uses all those little bits and pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just loving this quilt to be and glad you found a system that works for you to get your appliqueing done :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your leaves definitely make me smile! Love the scrappy look to them.:)

    ReplyDelete