Sunday, November 26, 2017

Getting back to normal

Sometimes it doesn't take much to throw me off the track when it comes to my stitching.  It's been a crazy month with having to deal with Tom's burns and getting ready for Thanksgiving and having family members visiting.  I usually just put my stitching aside, rather than get frustrated with not having the time. I also think it is important to take time to visit family when they are in town.  Tom is doing much better. All the bandages have released themselves and he is finally able to take showers. I hope that his visit to the burn clinic on Tuesday is good and we are on track.  It is amazing how fast our skin repairs itself.  The redness will be there for up to a year but all in all we are thankful things were not any worse.


Family members left Friday and I thought I would put in a few stitches, but my swing arm lamp wouldn't turn on.  So this morning Tom looked at it and found the culprit, the switch. Now, a trip to the hardware store should get it working again.  So this afternoon I hope to be able to stitch again. Looking at my current panel, I must say I've done well as three branches are completed.  I really need to decide if I want to stop at 5 panels or make the quilt wider and do another, or consider doing some kind of appliqued border.  I have plenty of time to think about it as I stitch the rest of this panel.

Hanging them on my sewing room closet door has been very inspirational. I have decided to go with green for my alternate panels and I really need to start keeping my eye out for the right fabric.




24 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of "more is better", so your applique is right up my alley....beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trailing vines is so tempting but I have too many projects already. Maybe one day. Yours is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear that he is doing better! Such beautiful progress on these vines :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those vines are just gorgeous! I’m happy to hear your husband’s burn injuries are improving

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those vines, just beautiful. I'm thankful your husband's burns weren't more serious and needed skin grafts. How nice too he can fix your lamp. Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carla... I love how you have your panels hanging waiting to be finished and joined into a center... I look forward to seeing you you decide to call this one ready for hand quilting!! Glad your hubby is doing so well and able to work on your light for ya! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad Tom is healing well and quickly. I can't imagine the month you have had but am so thankful you are both doing well. Your panels are lovely - I remember when you started them! So fun to see them again. Hope you are able to get a little relaxing stitching in today after a busy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear that your husband is recuperating so well!

    What a great idea to hang your finished vines so that you can see them! They look beautiful and they inspire to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they remind me that I am getting closer to getting enough panels to turn it into a quilt! Than

      Delete
  9. I was wondering how the burns were doing. I have heard that burns and burn treatments are very painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You heard right! But they say as long as your burn is painful its a good thing as deeper burns destroy your nerves. We were very thankful for the 21 day bandage that really helped with not having to pull the dressing off daily. Still not something I would wish on anyone.

      Delete
  10. Your vines are so beautiful. Thanks for the update on Tom's progress. I hope your visit to the clinic goes well on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things went well Tuesday and hopefully his last visit will be in three weeks. He has to exercise his shoulder to keep the scaring from contracting. We sure don't want to need surgery. Luckily the nurses and doctors think the exercises will do the trick.

      Delete
  11. Your trailing vine panels are beautiful. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a lot of leaves but fun unfortunately my bag of bits hasn't gotten any smaller!

      Delete
  12. Those panels are gorgeous. Glad to hear your hubby is healing. Hope you find some time for stitching, but you are right...family deserves your time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your applique looks great! I am glad that your husband is healing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and he is doing well. He has decided to retire on his birthday which is on Dec 8th. Looking foward to a new chapter in our lives

      Delete
  14. I hope the appointment goes well. Glad he is doing much better.

    I love those vines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all is well! Goes back in three weeks to make sure that he is able to exercise the tightness that formed in his shoulder from a bit of scaring. We are all pretty sure the exercises will do the trick and no surgery is necessary

      Delete
  15. so glad to read that Tom is doing better a crazy month I'm sure. I love that applique

    ReplyDelete