I hope to spend a few hours today working on Block #15 of Baltimore Garden. I have some embroidery to add to this block. A branch in a couple of bird’s mouths, some bird legs, some bird eyes and some details stitching in the tail. I love adding these kinds of details as they add so much to a block.
I did notice this morning after I finished adding the stems that my block has a bit of bulge in the center. Sometimes, I find this happens when I add add bias stems as I have a tendency to stretch them a bit when stitching them down. I find that a good blocking of the block works all of this out. I start with a very light spray of starch to the back side of the block. I lay it out on a soft terry towel, and start pressing with an up and down motion smoothing any wrinkles with my hands as I move around the block. This is the block after the blocking.
As you can see that solved any stretching or distortion that happened while I was stitching. Now, I just need to get the little swag detail templates made so I can applique them into place and then I can move on to adding the embroidery. I will be linking to Kathy’s blog to see what others are slow stitching today. Seeing all the hand work being done is so inspirational and there is always something new to learn.