Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Stars and Stripes

Well, with all the cold weather we have been having, what better place to be than under a quilt.  I started quilting this little lap quilt that measures 55X55 last week.  It has hung in the closet for awhile and was another perfect candidate for big stitching.

 This is the fourth stash busting quilt I have made in the last couple of years. The previous post tells about where I found the block.  I focused in on some red and blue fabrics then used some muslin trimmings from previous quilts to give me some contrast.


My reward for using stash fabric is being able to purchase some fun backing fabric.  I found this fireworks print last fall and knew when I saw it that it would be perfect.
  

Doesn't it look wonderful with the striped binding and the front of the quilt?

I must be quilting too much these days, because Max interrupted me while I was trying to take a picture, so I decided to give him a little attention.  It might be that he knows this quilt is special!  It is getting mailed out tomorrow to my brother in law, Gael Kent.  When the first block came out from under the machine, I knew this quilt had to go to a veteran.  My brother in law served in the Air National Guard and now that he is retired he heads a funeral detail unit that honors veterans that have passed.  So Gael I would like to present this quilt to you, for your past and continuing service. Your service to our country and your dedication to your fellow veterans deserves recognition. So Tom and I, and Max want to thank you!

18 comments:

  1. What a great quilt for your brother., he's sure to appreciate it very much. Oh my gosh, you must be a fast quilter to do that in a week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janet, I don't work outside the home, and live in the boonies. So this is my passion and I enjoy it daily. I probably could label myself a quilt geek. Oh well, it could be worse. It is also a joy to do my best when I intend to gift a quilt especially for a veteran.

      Delete
  2. Great quilt for a veteran. That binding couldn't be more perfect! Now you've got me wanting to attempt big stitch quilting again... And maybe copy this quilt straight up, LOL! I'm sure he will treasure it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori, I guess it was meant to be. I surely couldn't have gone to a quilt store and picked out anything that would work as well. I guess that is a good reason to have a stash. I worried about having more quilt tops then I could ever quilt, but it does give me time to find the right backing. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. What a blessing this will be! After all, not only did you make this, but it's just absolutely gorgeous! Love the big stitching, love,the backing, love the binding ... love it ALL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy you are always so sweet. It was a joy to make this one for my brother in law. Our veterans do so much for our country and I know it isn't easy for him on these freezing days to attend these funerals and wait to give their military honor to the deceased soldier. Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. I just love it Carla - and the backing is perfect! There is just the right amount of quilting to give it interest and still keep it cuddly. Your BIL is a lucky man!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful quilt which, I'm sure, will be very meaningful to its recipient! I love the backing because of the fireworks. I think it adds just the right amount of color and mood. Nice stitching too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mayleen, I was very excited when I came across it. It does pull it all together! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow...it is wonderful and your quilting is so beautiful. Your BIL will just love this well deserved quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, thanks so much, This was a such a fun little project! But I am looking forward to some regular hand quiting again!

      Delete
  7. Wow Carla...this is fantastic. And it is such a good feeling to finish up those projects we have hanging around. I did that last year and am doing so again this year! Beautiful big stitch quilting. Nice job. Congratulations on a job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lucky brother! I'm sure he'll love this star quilt. The firework backing is wonderful and the striped binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't a jubilee quilt, but was fun to do! I don't think I could have made it anymore patriotic, but I very happy how it all came together!

      Delete
  9. Love your Quilt of Valor design for your brother. The quilt is very striking. I've discovered that red, white, and blue striped fabric is just perfect for binding a QOV. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete