Sunday, March 7, 2021

Summer ABC's

 A little more progress was made on my Summer ABC's by Little House Needleworks.  I was able to finish the stitches around the tree branch add a few fireflies and add letters E-J.  I also added the basket of fruit!


 

Today I hope to start adding a few motifs to my SAL from 2020.  I thought these two motifs might be where I start.


 
Now I just need to decide where to start!  Should be a lot of fun!



Thought I would share some pics I took this week of my orchids.  I am new to growing them, but really have enjoyed learning to care for them.  The pink one has been blooming since late October!  The white one started blooming over month ago.  The blooms are so delicate it's hard to believe they last so long.  I used to grow African violets but they just don't do well here in this home.  I think it may be how dry the air is here.  Anyway, I am learning to adapt and these orchids really are so nice to have during the winter months when nothing else is blooming.  However, my Christmas cactus has started to bloom again.  I thought this was unusual, but read on line that if you let them dry out and then start watering again that they will rebloom.  A nice little surprise for sure!






20 comments:

  1. I love the ABC piece. So cute! I have had terrible luck with Christmas cacti the last few years. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was just a little plant a year ago. I put it on the porch in the summer and it doubled in size

      Delete
  2. I have two Christmas cacti that haven't bloomed in years. Your stitching looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the secret is letting them dry out well in a dark place. I wish I could still grow African violets I used to have a whole windowsill full of them

      Delete
  3. love that Cross Stitch the last pattern that you show - a lot of work for sure. My luck with Xmas Cactus seems to vary some years they tend to flower other times not one on them! I tried an orchid once and it died on me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orchids are really easy. I killed a couple of orchids until a neighbor friend told me to put it in an east window and soak the pot in water once a week for 10 minutes. It's important to have a pot that drains well.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful stitching! Your Christmas cactus looks great. Mine is still blooming too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter weather with less sunny days can get old do it is nice to have our indoor plants as a distraction

      Delete
  5. Your Summer ABC stitchery is so sweet! It looks like fun to work on! That's neat about the Christmas cactus blooming again, too - a fun surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the each season has a little quilt and I love changing them out for each season

      Delete
  6. Your cross stitch is looking lovely. I might try watering my Christmas cactus again and see if I can wake it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Others have said letting it dry out in a cool dark place for a month then bringing it back out helps to make it bloom.

      Delete
  7. I often put my Christmas cactus in the dark cold cellar for a month of so then bring them in and start watering them again I have had them bloom different 3 times from Oct, Christmas and March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good to know and I plan on trying that. They seem to grow really well here. I watched it double in size last summer on my porch

      Delete
  8. Orchids are such beautiful flowers. They bloom for months over winter with very little care, when there is not much happening in the flower department. Your cactus looks very healthy and soon it seems, will gift you with pretty, pink flowers. Your Summer ABC is lovely. The little basket of fruit is a sweet addition. Have fun starting your SAL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty samplers and how fun that the cactus is blooming again for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I really enjoy the cross stitch and I am so glad it is blooming again

      Delete
  10. Christmas cactus are known as May flowers here in Brazil,they are so beautiful. Beautiful cross-stitch projects, have fun adding the mini motifs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ivana my mom always had a Christmas cactus so I do enjoy having one

      Delete