Sunday, February 28, 2021

It's been ages!

 Well it's been ages since I have done a blog post!  The holidays are long over and I am not sure where the time has gone.  I do know that I spend part of my day doing the PT stretches for my back and with the inflammation med the apain is bearable.  The epidural injection lasted about 2.5 months which did give me time to strengthen my  core muscles.  I have some good and some bad days but realized taking the medicine and not forgetting to take it makes a big difference.  I finished my spring cross stitch piece and decided to hang it! 


I really love this set of seasonal stitcheries by Little House Needleworks! Aren't these bunnies so cute!



 The following week we got the artic blast that came all the way down here in Texas.  I really can't complain as although we were out of power for 12 hours straight when it was 2 degrees at night, at least our pipes didn't freeze and cause damage.  The line to our icemaker in our refrigerator froze but we were able to thaw it out with an electric heater and our house is new enough that we have pex lines which does much better than copper lines.  All those quilts I have made over the years really were put to use.  It got down to about 52 in the house so by wearing hats and gloves and staying under the quilts we didn't freeze.  The coldest morning was -2 on a Friday by the next Friday we reached a high of 82 such crazy weather.  I know a lot of you endure these kinds of temps every year but the infrastructure here just isn't designed to handle it.  But we endured and now its time to move forward.



I have had a slow start on the summer cross stitch project, but I have started.  I also need to pull out my Linen and Threads 2020 SAL and add some little motifs instead of the initials that the original designed used.  I bought a book of tiny motifs that I hope will work.  I am look really looking forward to enjoying some stitching time each day. Getting out of the habit has not been good.




19 comments:

  1. glad you were only without heat for 12 hours - that was pretty cold in the house though and it must not have felt good at all. I would have had to have several layers on for sure and hid under the quilts all day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did stay nice and cozy in bed! We were so thankful for the rolling black outs once our power was restored! I sure love that new quilt you are cutting out, what a beauty!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back, Carla! Sorry to hear about your chronic pain. Nobody knows until they experience it. Glad you made it through what sounds like the worst winter ever in Texas. Keep stitching, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes chronic pain is no fun and I have to catch myself not snapping at my husband as my threshold for tolerating anything sometimes is quite low and he's not to blame. Yes I am glad we have entered into March the brown burmuda should start turning green in a couple of weeks. I just need to pace myself doing anything and not stay in one position too long. Thankfully I have no pain at night and I am very thankful for that!

      Delete
  3. I like how you hung the little stitchery. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks me too! That is why I decided the seasonal stitcheries would work well there. They tend to take the boring out of my niche!

      Delete
  4. So glad to hear you weathered the storm. I was wondering how it was where you are. Those quilt sure did come in handy. Love the apples on your stitchery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, yes we were checking the temps around the country and Florida sounded so nice when my fingers would get numb. But growing up in the country we learned how to deal with these kind of situations. I do feel bad for those that had frozen pipes that busted.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Karrin, hope that you and your hubby are doing fine! Almost time to put that lemon tree out and soak up some sun!

      Delete
  6. So glad that you didn't have to endure more than 12 hours with no electricity and your pipes didn't freeze. I love how you mounted your Spring alphabet. Summer is looking good too. I like that idea of adding small motifs to your pretty Linens and Threads SAL. Enjoy your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 12 hours was enough but we faired will compared to some others. Our pipe to the refrigerator froze but thankfully the pex pipes weather freezes unlike copper. Next time we will unhook and let it drip. I saw some of the SALs that added motifs to fill up the spaces and it really appealed to me too!

      Delete
  7. Texas got quite the snowstorm, didn't it. Twelve hours is a long time to not have electricity, but it is a very good thing that your pipes didn't freeze over. Your spring alphabet looks lovely displayed on the wall and your summer cross stitch is looking lovely...amazing the stitching you have done given your chronic pain. I hope you are able to find relief with the medication. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, yes the anti inflammatory is a blessing. I used to walk four miles a day and that seems to irritate that pinched nerve so I am sad about that but I do do my PT to keep muscles stretched. You would think sitting and stitching wouldn't bother it but if I sit too long I seem to pay the price when I get up so I try to do anything too long.

      Delete
  8. Brrr, an artic blast sounds rather icy. Do hope your back is slowly improving, there is nothing like back pain to slow you down. Pretty little cross stitch pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am afraid my back will never improve too much arthritis with a pinched nerve and herniated disc and surgery isn't recommended. I will keep my chin up and do my PT and learn to deal and if things get too bad I can always get an epidural. The PT really helps with the leg pain and thankfully my back doesn't bother me at all at night. Thanks for stopping by

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry you had to live with 52 degrees in your house - that's cold! Glad it didn't cause you any damage, though. Your Spring cross-stitch is sweet as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your spring stitchery you put in your wall hanging... it looks lovely :)
    Enjoy using those mini stitcheries... I wondered how you guys fared in the weather and I am glad you had no major issues and used all the quilts as they were intended!
    Take care and write again soon :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi! I was very thankful we had my quilts to help keep us warm!

      Delete