Sunday, May 12, 2019

Hst Quilt

Well, back to work on my hst's!  I finally hand pieced enough hst's that I started assembling them into sixteen patches.  I was inspired by a quilt on Lucy's blog, back in January.  I really need to remind myself that I love quilts that are simple and repeat the same block.  It's all about color and seeing the fabrics play off one another.  I used to struggle with trying to choose fabrics when I first started quilting. Then there was the question of how much yardage should you buy?  Then one day I was weeding the flower garden and realize how all the colors in the garden seem to cohabitate and look lovely, why should it be any different in a quilt.  So my journey into scrap quilts started!  I am much happier to make blocks out of scraps.  You can always throw another fabric into the mix if you aren't sure you have enough of this color or that.  It changed the way I purchased fabric.  It's all about pretty colors, prints and solids.  Less stress and more time to enjoy the time stitching.  But with this process all the units need to be made before a quilt top can start coming together.  I usually don't fret too much about each blocks layout, my only rule is to not have the same color next to the previous color.  Sometimes certain colors take the same position in each block, but mostly it's pretty fabrics stitched together and either pieced or appliqued to a background solid or print. I need 36 scrappy 16-patches for this quilt.
I am finally seeing the bottom of my project box!
First I lay out 16 hst's in a pleasing way!
Then they turn into foursies!
 I have room to lay out about four blocks in my sewing room. I don't always get them all sewn each day but I do try and spend a little time sewing each day.  Hopefully by the end this week, I will have all 36 blocks assembled.  This will be my first scrap quilt that I hand pieced but then machine pieced the blocks and the quilt top together!  It allows me to enjoy some hand piecing, but I don't have to worry about stressing my hands.  I hope that I can keep doing some kind of hand work well into my future.


Add caption



23 comments:

  1. Great progress, it is going to be a wonderful scrappy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love repeat blocks and other people say they get bored with them. I like being able to do everything scrappy now too - and I too buy fabric differently because of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I so agree, nothing boring about a repeating block quilt. I am so glad I finally figured out that fretting over matchy fabric was crazy. Now I just purchase mostly by color and what appeals to me.

      Delete
  3. Those are pretty! I love all colors in a scrappy quilt, too. Enjoy your stitching today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, yes. The simple triangle units do make for a pretty quilt. I followed the link to Lucy's blog post. I had forgotten about that quilt picture. Just about anything could go into the triangle units and look good. But soft colors especially.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those scrappy blocks. I too have been having hand problems. Making adjustments helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah doing things a bit differently so my hands can still tolerate hand work is important

      Delete
  6. The blocks look wonderful! So glad you are enjoying the hand piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these hand pieced hst's... and I love the quilt you are aiming for ... Enjoy - it is looking great :D
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are looking good. Don’t you love hand piecing...so soothing. But like you, can’t do everything that way. The end is certainly in site on this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes overdoing anything is never good. I do love just hand piecing a few pieces in the evenings

      Delete
  9. I'm with you on scrap quilts, Carla. They're my favorite kind! I like your idea of hand piecing the blocks, then machine stithing them together. This will be an awesome quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my thankyou for sharing her blog post. What an undertaking

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure many quilters have done this. Its the best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love scrappy quilts and you're so right. No need to stress as long as the same color isn't residing side by side.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is my only rule when it comes to scrap quilts no two fabrics next to each other. Now to find the right fabric for sashing and borders.

      Delete
  13. Your colors look beautiful together, Carla. This will be such a pleasant quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Nancy! I love the soft the colors and hope to find the right fabric to sash and border these blocks.

    ReplyDelete