Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Hand Pieced QAL

I spent alittle time in the sewing room earlier this week.  I really needed to straighten up a bit, I try to do this between projects.  I also wanted to find a place for my hand pieced quilt that is finished.  I decided instead of hanging it on the wall with my minis, that I would use it as a table topper.  I think it looks quite nice on this table with my orchid.  I guess I need to find a better looking pot for my orchid.  I use plastic jugs that I drill holes in along the sides and a few at the bottom, as my orchid seems to like that enviorment.  But, I really need to keep my eye for a more decorative pot that I could set the jug into.  I have never grown orchids before, but really have always wanted to give it a go.  This one is a couple of years old. The first year it didn't look so great, but after doing some more research I think I understand now what makes them happy.


I also was honored as being one of the four quilters that was chosen for one of the four final prizes.  I was very surprised and will have fun shopping online for some supplies.  A quilter always needs something to finish a ufo or start a new project, so the 50 dollar Fat Quarter Shop gift card will come in handy.  

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the completion and congratulations on the win. I have kept a couple of orchids alive for several years but have no idea how to make them thrive. I guess I could google info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really needed to be treated like an air plant. So lots of drainage using orchid mix to plant in which is basically bark. I let tepid water run into the pot and on the plant for a few minutes once a week and let the excess water drain out. I also fertilize every two months with the orchid fertilizer spikes.

      Delete
  2. I love the finish of your table topper Carla! Congrats on winning a Fat Quarter ship gift card too... your orchid IS lovely :D Have a wonderful week! Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi! It's always nice to win more fabric when your a quilter.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on being a winner!! Your little quilt looks lovely as a table topper. And your orchid does look very happy. Just watched a You Tube and reported mine. They did not look happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best advice on orchids I got from P Allen Smith. Well drained pot using orchid potting soil really mostly bark and let tepid water run onto the plant into the pot for a few minutes once a week. I do this in the kitchen sink and let the excess water drain. I just started using the fertilizer spikes and I think they are helpful.

      Delete
  4. congrats on winning one of the prizes! the quilt looks perfect as a table topper. I tried to grow an orchid twice and both times they died on me. I'm always tempted to try again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really don't need much care it's all about treating them like an air plant. Orchid mix has a lot of bark in it. Then once a week I put it under the kitchen faucet and run tepid water for a few minutes making sure to wash the leaves. Drain excess and put back in an east facing window. I think I will add a few more to my collection.

      Delete
  5. How fun to see your lovely quilt as a table topper! Congrats on winning the gift certificate! I'm sure it will be terribly difficult to decide what to buy with it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hand pieced quilt makes a very pretty table topper. It still allows something to be set on it for display without over powering it with design.

    ReplyDelete