Friday, April 5, 2019

Hand Pieced QAL finish!

I am so glad that I joined the QAL.  Although, I have made a couple of hand pieced quilts I had never worked with blocks and so many points.  As with everything else we do, practice does improve our skills so that was a bonus.  As I said in a previous post the fabric I used was light and not as tightly woven as some quilting fabric, but I managed to hang in there.   Now when it came time to quilt it, the lighter fabric was a dream to quilt.  I pulled Jeana Kimball's book: Loving Stitches from my library and got a lot of ideas on how to quilt each block.


There also was a simple basket weave pattern in the book that I decided to use on the negative space.  I have never enjoyed using stencils basically for two reasons. 1. They never seem to be the right size for the area I want to use them. 2. They are flimsy and tracing or pouncing thru them is difficult for this girl.  I use my quilting rulers and make my templates when it comes to hand quilting.  The basket weave is a simple version and very easy to mark just using a ruler.


I started by marking a one inch  grid at a 45 degree angle going in both directions. Then I drew a line down the middle of each square and would alternate the direction in the next square.   One line is horizontal and one perpendicular.  Nothing hard about that!



I usually try to do something new or different with each quilt I hand quilt.  For this quilt I  used a varigated quilting thread.  I find it difficult to choose a color when the spool is varigated but I had this spool in my sewing box for several years. I had won it at a quilt show and just never found the right quilt until this one.  The pastel greens pink and yellows were perfect for this quilt.



I thought I would switch to gray when I started quilting the gray fabric but decided to continue with the varigated and really loved the bit of shimmer it added to those dull gray areas.  I can see using varigated threads in the future as they are a lot of fun.

The finished quilt is approximately 29x29 and so it quilted up pretty quickly. Also an artic blast came thru Texas last weekend and I sat and stitched every moment I had free.  Once I got going, I was having a hard time putting it down.  I must say I am pleased with the finish and will hang it in my sewing room.  



Now it is time to decide what is next.  Hand piecing a few more sun flower blocks this summer would be fun and I need to prepare my trailing vines for hand quilting.  There always seems to be plenty to choose from around here. I have joked that I don't need anymore quilts but somehow I always start another and have several tops waiting to be hand quilted. 

30 comments:

  1. The last few times I hand pieced a block, it was slow going. I know you pick up speed with practice and I don't do enough of it to accomplish that.

    The variegated thread would be an adventure for me. I have not used it for hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always felt the same way about varigated thread but I really like but it wouldn't be suitable for all circumstances.

      Delete
  2. This looks very nice. You've done an excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful job you did, Carla! I love your basket weave, and will have to remember that when I have a sufficient plain area to quilt. I can't seem to get my fingers around hand piecing however, and admire those of you who can do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it wonderful when making a quilt there are so many different ways and techniques. I think by machine, by hand, appliqued, pieced, whatever makes you happy is appropriate.

      Delete
  4. I love your tutorial on the basketweave pattern you used... I have that book too and love it :) I must open it and read it a bit more it seems! lol Thanks for sharing your hand stitching adventures here :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathi! I find the simple things usually turn out the best, especially with hand quilting. I love getting my books out when I need inspiration

      Delete
  5. Your quilt is wonderful and I just love your quilting pattern! Thanks for linking up with the Hand Pieced QAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting the QAL I have quilted for quite a while but there is always something new to learn and try. I definitely gained more confidence with hand piecing while following along.

      Delete
  6. Your quilt is beautiful! I love the gray background with the colorful blocks, and your quilting, too. I'm curious to know how you sewed the binding - in a traditional binding there are so many layers - I'm not sure I want to try hand stitching it on to the quilt! I'm wondering if there are other options!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used a single fold binding and tried to hand stitch it but after about 12 inches I could feel the joints in my hand saying no. So I went ahead and sewed it to the front by machine and hand stitched it down on the back!

      Delete
  7. Very pretty. Your quilt looks wonderful. That quilting design is so perfect for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! The basketweave pattern is an easy to mark design and adds a lot of interest I think.

      Delete
  8. It turned out lovely, love the handquilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hand quilting is my favorite part of making a quilt! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. Oh Carla it is gorgeous! It is such a happy quilt and the thread colour was a perfect accent!
    And your stitching design is awesome... basketweave... hope I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I pulled out some books for inspiration. Looking forward to seeing all the finished quilt from the QAL definitely a great learning experience.

      Delete
  10. Your little hand-pieced quilt turned out great! I love the basketweave quilting design in the background, and the variegated thread is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so glad I tried the varigated thread, not sure why I feared it so much. LOL

      Delete
  11. A cute little finished quilt. The background quilting really added to the colourful blocks. I also love hand quilting with variegated thread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so glad I joined the QAL. It was a great experiment that was also a lot of fun.

      Delete
  12. How lovely this quilt is. The blocks set against the grey background is perfect and the basket weave quilting looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have never used gray as a background but it worked will with these pastels

      Delete
  13. OOh, the hand quilting just looks amazing on this! Love that texture! It's such a great feeling when you're so in the groove with the hand quilting, that you don't want to quit.:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm always inspired when I visit!

    And I'm looking forward to more Sunflowers! Then when you start hand quilting yours I'll have an idea of how to hand quilt mine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I plan on cutting more sunflowers out for summer stitching! Your blog blows my mind, I love your use of scraps!

      Delete
  15. I love how this came out! I'm so glad that you joined the QAL :) And I love that basket weave quilting pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Thanks also for hosting the QALQAL! It was a lot of fun sharing and learning new tips.

      Delete